• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Port Hurons Are Perky!

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Might you have a SN, picture or anything? Dave Kemler would be the first person to contact.

century farm

Registered
hi beth , my name is karl altenhein i just bought eng. no8247 , yes she is a 19/65 1919 vintage. i should have her home this week . karl . 814-274-9798 pennsylvania

Jerry Lucabaugh

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
Congratulations on your new purchase. I see you are from the Coudersport PA area. I just got home from Bear hunting up there. I am from the very bottom of PA. Perhaps some time when I am back up there we could meet and possibly see your new toy. I have not heard of any steam in your area since Carl Campbell's sale.

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
In post #503, I put a picture of a steam engine with my grandfather (which can also be found below). While going thru some pictures from a late cousin, I found a better quality picture of the same scene which is on the right. I don't know who the 2 gentleman are however. There is a date of AUG. 1934 on this picture.

Attachments

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
Here is another recent find of a Port Huron Road Roller. Can anyone add info on this type of roller?

Attachments

Tom Runty

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Had to make a new water tank for #7130 this winter. The original started leaking this year, and made a mess wherever I parked the engine. Had designs on repairing if the problems were localized, but it was bad all the way around, so no saving it.

Went to 12 gauge steel instead of original 14, and I epoxied the inside with leftover paint from the shop floor. Should last a little longer. Also put a 1/2 inch pipe flange in the bottom front corner for a hand washing station.

Thanks to Jon Gould for help forming the sheets (including one for the other tank when it gives out), and Neil Drummer for help riveting the seam and top head.

Tom R.

Attachments

Tom Runty

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
#7130 was due for a coat of paint. Wanted to do it before Steam School last weekend, but ran out of time. Was able to get it done this week. The new tank is on the crank side, hard to tell them apart from a distance.

Also installed the handwashing valve this week. Started filling it before Steam School, and couldn't figure out where the leak was. Stopped it with an old fusible plug until I could get a valve.

Attachments

gibbykart

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/22/2017
Earlier this year I purchased a 20hp Port Huron Portable mentioned by Northern earlier in this thread. This past weekend it made its first appearance at the Buckley Old Engine Show's 50th anniversary show. While it was too wet to move it easily on Thursday and Friday (made attempts on Wednesday night to move it around as well), I was able to get it onto the Prony Brake on Sunday to see what she had in her with the 100 psi allowed for her lap seam. It ended up pulling 37.8 HP.

It is definitely a fun engine to operate and fires rather easy. Hopefully it will make a appearance at the Port Huron feature at NTA in the near future.

Attached are several pictures, and the following is a link to a video of the engine on the Prony Brake.

https://youtu.be/1zPNn51RWCQ

Attachments

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Earlier this year I purchased a 20hp Port Huron Portable mentioned by Northern earlier in this thread. https://youtu.be/1zPNn51RWCQ
It's a slight irony that it's a portable but still has the patented, drive wheel logo on it's fire box door.

I've never seen a team of horses pull a portable engine at a steam show. I wonder how many horses would be required to pull this engine?

gibbykart

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/22/2017
Not quite sure how many horses but my Farmall M had all it wanted when going through the loose sand patches, even had to have a Farmall H help me out once. Over flat compacted ground it worked good though. Might have to try to horse drawing it around sometime, it does have a seat bracket on the smokebox.

Casemaker

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/04/2020
With a little bit of tuning I would bet you could almost double your horsepower on the brake. Not bad for a first pull....I would bet you were excited.

dbutch04

Registered
hello all, Im new to this site i am Dave 41 yrs old from owosso Michigan, my grandfather had a port huron steam engine.... possibly was a construction model for road work before grandpa aquired it and used it to run what i have been told was the biggest threasher in shiawassee county....he traded it in at S & K in owosso for a huber tactor , my dad believes he heard somewhere it was in a gravel pit in the laingsburg area being used to run a water pump (who knows when that was ) I WANT IT BACK!! anyone who knows anything or has information about it please help me .... then you all will need to help me restore it. i do know it was a short boiler with a canopy grandpa had the engine number somewhere but dad doesnt know where it is now

---------- Post added at 04:43:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41:05 PM ----------

oh and i believe it was a 16-?

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Bump for Colin Beamish who has been inquiring about these fine engines on FaceBook.:O