• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Port Hurons Are Perky!

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
David Fuller shared this photo of a 24 Port Huron on Facebook. It has the shorter canopy with beautiful wheels yet. I spy a spare crank disc and shaft by the right front. I wonder if it survived?

Attachments

gibbykart

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/22/2017
Any word on where the 16 Port that was for sale in Washington went? I think i saw pictures of it strapped to a Flat Deck Shipping container but wondered where It went off to. Thanks -Mike

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
How sad..

This 15,000-lb cargo was rebuilt to running condition & now headed to its new owner who’ll add it to a museum in Beijing, China. For our motorheads, you may recognize this piece of history as it was shown at local exhibitions, private shows and local events in the past.
I hope that "museum" isn't a melting pot.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
I've been digging through my collection of photos for the 75th NTA reunion--featuring Port Hurons, of course because of Blaker--and found these gems.

Blaker sent these to Harold Ottaway in 1952. They were sent to me several years ago. Blaker typed on the back of each that they were taken June 25, 1949. The first two are #8503 which developed 87 hp on the brake. He called the 32 a "shortfellow."

Where is the "shortfellow" today?

Attachments

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Bump, just because NTA is featuring Port Huron in June 2019 for the 75th Anniversary since Blaker was a dyed in the wool Port Huron man.

Any new engines appear?

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
as to the 32, Surely someone would still have it, would think is survives.

BakerMaker

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/27/2019
I think i saw pictures of it strapped to a Flat Deck Shipping container but wondered where It went off to.
One of the reasons ( among others :) ) I snagged the Nic. Hate to see stuff like this happen. :(

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
as to the 32, Surely someone would still have it, would think is survives.
I was told that it remains in MI, but is in need of a boiler. I don't have any further details. For sentimental reasons, I'd love to have his 32 traction, 32 portable, both 24's, and his 19's together.

Realistically, the Cedar Point 24 is derelict and will take a tremendous amount of work to put back under steam--but it could be done and I'd want to put original cast wheels back on it like the picture.;) I believe Steve Hinebeck still has the 19 that was owned by NTA/TNT and it was in fine condition the last time I saw it. I don't know if the other engines are even cosmetically acceptable.

Here's the Cedar Point 24 before Blaker modified the wheels. It has the standard wheels.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
The back of the photos say "32," but after we compared the engines to my 24, I think it is a 24 shortfellow.

Ask the User has a shortfellow, perhaps he can post a photo of it for comparison?

That little trailer was quite the outfit. DOT would have had a heyday!

tannerbrethorst

Registered
As they continued to standardize their offerings of size and got closer to the 16, 19, 24, & 32 hp engines only, one can place a pretty good guess on size by counting bolts on the high pressure cylinder head. 19’s - 4 bolts. 24’s - 5 bolts, and 32’s - 6 bolts. (16’s had 5 bolts with the cylinder close to the front of the smoke box.) This ‘tell-tale’ configuration also holds with the 24 short boiler too. (More on the whole genesis of the 24 in Phil’s post about his 24 hp short boiler.) I’m not claiming to be an expert, but this is typically what I’ve seen. Tanner

Fred Saunders

Registered
I just heard back from Dave Kemler. It is a 21 hp engine on a 20 hp simple boiler. If Ask the User posts a picture of his short boiler Port, there should be a strong similarity. Dave said it is the same engine.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Thanks Fred. All of our guesses were wrong. I wonder who wrote "32" on the back of the photo?

Does Dave still have it?

Ask The User

Email NOT Working
Fred's Dad's old short boiler is a mysterious engine. I'm not convinced (though we have discussed it many times) that Dave's assessment is correct. As they only built 21's one year, I'm not certain that the cylinders and other castings aren't left overs from the 21's. As for the boiler being a 20, that is debatable too as there are no engine or boiler numbers on it to look up in the records. It was a good portable boiler that Dave's dad sold along with the engine as a package deal, which was later swapped out. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to look all up of the casting numbers and compare them to the listings for the 24's and 20's. So, rather than accept and propagate an undocumented/researched conclusion, I'll hold off on declaring a factory horsepower rating. I need to look closely at the boiler dimensions, bracket placement and other telltale signs before I'll render an opinion.:shrug:

Last edited: