• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Port Hurons Are Perky!

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
So what your saying is that it's a mongrel ? ( insert smiley face) Just like most of my oddities around here, We can't expect these relics to be in their original configuration after all these years later.

Fred Saunders

Registered
Dad took photos of the engine the one time they fired it and one was a front end shot. Using a magnifying glass, the engine number on the smokebox door APPEARS to be 5514. However, the picture is grainy so that might not be exact.

Ask The User

Email NOT Working
The inherent problem with the numbers on PH engines is the plates often travel with the smokebox door and are easily swapped from boiler to boiler. Most often they are correct but as Dave has pointed out on several occasions, they don't make sense at all. It's a shame that they didn't stamp the engine bed and dome with the number.

tannerbrethorst

Registered
4 bolts on the High Pressure head, no flange on the outside of the drivers, 6 ? Foot tubes. Could it be the predecessor to the 17 hp, which became the 19 when the boiler went to 9 ft tubes? (Longfellow). My $.02 and worth what you paid for it. TB

JBoogie

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/12/2013
That engine looks to have an "over center" clutch instead of the ubiquitous PH "push the flywheel off the crank" style clutch. 🧐

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Had to enlarge it a lot to see it, but I believe your correct. Did they have one of their own or is this a later after market change over?

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Posted earlier from FB site and this next..Back to Port Hurons are perky
Brand new Port Huron steam traction engine ready for threshing to begin. Farm at south of Calista Kansas. Not even wear out!

Don't know how I missed this one before. The detail on that photo really shows the canopy in detail. Now I know how ours is supposed to look, it was dismantled very roughly for transport by the trucking co to ship here.