• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Port Hurons Are Perky!

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
Beth - that double tandem is magnifique:cool: Do you have any info about the different ones that they made? Wouldn't that be sweet on a plow?
G.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
G,

According to my 1909 catalog, (I do not know the years that they were made..), Port Huron touted them as being "greatly superior to a Cross Compound, as we avoid the need of a receiving chamber between the two cylinders, in which chamber steam must condense and lose power."

It requires "Much less fuel & water than any other make of double traction engine."

"The Port Huron double is very powerful, is easily kept in order; it is attractive in appearance and has all the advantages of any double traction engine; and it requires much less fuel & water than does any other make of double traction engine."

Ratings were 22-70 with 4.5 & 7 cylinder with 10 in stroke; 220 RPM; 10.5 x 40 flywheel. The drivers were the same as the 19 hp--20x71 with front wheels 14x30 and a shipping weight of 19,200.

Ratings for the 30-95 were 5.5 & 9 cylinder with 10 in stroke; 220 RPM; 12x40 flywheel. The drivers were the same at the 32 hp--26x71 with front wheels 12x44 and a shipping weight of 25,900.

Beth

Attachments

M

mank10

The Brethhorst Port Huron Longfellow is still owned by Bill Brethorst's Son and Grandson. I think it is a 19 HP tandem compound. Dave and Tanner Brethorst run the Engine @ the Baraboo Show and show up with it @ the Lodi Fair every once in a while. The engine is still in the Lodi Wisconsin area and when the Fair comes around in July, we have 5 engines in the Lodi area show up!!! The engine is equiped with some brackets that attach to the axle and frame. I believe that these are plowing brackets. I have not seem them on another Port. Bill rescued this engine from the scrap yard. I don't know what year. I remember that the engine used to sit next to his shop on Spring Street, and as kids, we used to walk past it everyday on our way to school. Bill spent many years repairing the engine. He died of a heart attack in 1979 not long after the engine was restored. Dave and Tanner are Great people and are very fun to be around. They are very knowledgable on steam. They have a open invitation to run our engine when the Port is not ready to go. Joe Graziana has rebuilt the Governor on the engine and the engine has had a new set of cast grates installed. Just my thoughts, I was suprised to see their pic on this thread!!!! NM

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
This thread was in danger of disappearing, so I thought I'd post yet another....this from 1980 when my 24 hp Port Huron won the LeRoy Blaker Best Restored Engine at National Threshers. Those "kids" :eek: are Ken, Barb, Beth, & Rol Brodbeck.

The second shows what happens when it has not been around for a while....48 rolls of toilet paper later!:D My engine is under there somewhere! Great way to wipe it off & start your fire! Dave Schramm's 20 Russell is in the background.

Beth

Attachments

Last edited:

Colin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
heres a picture of the only port huron i know of in Western canada, at WDM saskatoon. not sure of the size
[/IMG]
are you happy now Beth i finally suported this thread of your favorite brand of engine :rolleyes: And i even took time to post when i should be in bed:bonk: :zz:

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Colin!

Finally:eek: , you have seen the light! :D

This Port Huron appears to be a 16 with a lap boiler.

Yes, you posted this while I:zz: ....some people have to work during the day.

With sincere appreciation.

Beth

Maybe I will send you one of the triple chocolate brownies that I made last night....................:D

Ask The User

Email NOT Working
Beth,
Here's a Port Huron photo for you. This is that one with Eva Smith, pre-dating our Beth as an engineer, indicating but they must be quite user friendly.
Gary;)
Neat picture. Judging from the position of the quadrant lever she wasn't working the old girl too hard. Looks like it's hooked up in the first notch. I don't think you can find a more user friendly engine than a Port Huron. Everything is right there in reach of the platform and you don't have to stand on your head to fire it.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Nice picture Gary. It looks like a little 16 hp.

I'm glad to see a lady engineer, but those skirts would be a hindrance!:eek:

The Port Hurons are a very "user friendly" engine....therefore the logo "Ask the User!":) No doing the splits either!:eek:

Beth

Bob Oliver

Registered
Hi Tim:
The Port Huron with the locomotive cab that is at our place is # 8236 built in 1918. Longfellow, Compound cylinder 19 - 65HP. It is from Michigan and was here and then went back to Michigan and is now here again to have a new boiler.
Bob Oliver

Ben Busfield

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/12/2017
Bob

:confused: you say port #8236 is a 1918 ???????????????? iam just asking but our engine #8220 was built 6 of 1919 and is a 19-65 hp with cab a full canopy we got the papers on the old skutter this summer from dave and ian not saying you r wrong could our papers on ours be wrong for the year built?
Ben

Ben Busfield

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/12/2017
thanks Beth I was :confused: :confused: and thinking that we were way off on the year but i have the build sheats for it and its june 1919 thanks for clearing the fog
Ben

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
This thread was in danger of being lost......:uhoh:

So, here is yet another picture of my Port at work steaming the scales at what is now an ADM elevator. Due to excessive water, the scales had froze down. We got them loose.

In addition to being pretty and being able to saw, thresh, plow, it does steam work too!:D

Beth:wave:

Attachments

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
This thread was taking a dive to the depths of oblivion - I guess the Port Huron Collectors Restorers Observers and Lovers Society has packed it in for the season???????
Here are a couple of the PH Hi-wheeler in Ontario plus one of the 32 (?) at Buckeley, Michigan show (can't recall the owners but a very nice engine) plus 32 at Rynda sale?
G.

Attachments

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Gee, G,....those are wonderful pictures! Thank you!

....now, if we can find a way to sneak that highwheeler down to Wauseon in June 2007 for the Port Huron feature......:brows:

Phil, I remember your 32 sunk down in that wonderful MN soil & the joy we had pulling it out!:D

Beth