• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Powder coat paint hit and miss engines?

mjw9mm

Registered
Does anyone know if powdercoat paint is avilable for international hit and miss engins? Orginal colors. THANKS MATT

Ray Cardoza

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/13/2010
Re: powdercoat paint hit7miss engins

I'm sure they have it available. This subject has been on here many times and various answers have been given. good luck

ListerDiesel

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
10/24/2016

Our suppliers in the UK can get any existing formulae mixed to order, and standard BS381C, BS4800 and RAL colours are held in stock in popular colours.

Typically you have to buy a 25kg box of any special colour (that's about 52lbs weight) and last time I asked it was about $9 a kilo.

In the USA, this should be available from your powder coating shop, but you need either the original colour formula or a good colour sample that they can analyse to get the colour right.

Don't forget that powder, more than paint, will change its colour slightly as it hardens after being cured.

Peter

Al Wait

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/21/2014

It will also look hideous, like "lipstick on a pig". Al Wait

Ron Haskell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/05/2018

I don't think any of my engines look like pigs, and haven't seen many that do. I have seen a lot of engines with bright shiny paint and if they are the right color look great. Also are easier to keep clean. If it is your engine you can do what you want with it.

Ackman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/09/2011
I had my 1½ SANDWICH powder-coated & it turned out pretty good. It should've been a little darker, but I was happy with it! :D Just make sure that you tape off or plug whatever you DON'T want coated...it is a PIA to get off!!! :bonk:

Attachments

ListerDiesel

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
10/24/2016

It will also look hideous, like "lipstick on a pig". Al Wait
Any particular reason why you say that, Al?

We use the process industrially as well as for engine frames and trolleys, and have always had very good results and finish/appearance.

It does depend a lot on the preparation, just like with paint, but overall I'd say it was as good as paint and more durable.

Peter

Al Wait

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/21/2014
These engines were originally painted by brush, and then sometimes varnished, also by brush. Powdercoating is shiny and pretty, but not very realistic. It reminds me of the fellow in NH who painted his Temple Master Workman in two shades metallic green automotive paint. It just looked silly. Al Wait

Ackman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/09/2011
These engines were originally painted by brush, and then sometimes varnished, also by brush. Powdercoating is shiny and pretty, but not very realistic. It reminds me of the fellow in NH who painted his Temple Master Workman in two shades metallic green automotive paint. It just looked silly. Al Wait
Only one of my engines is bright & shiny & it was that way when I got it...I try to make them look like I believe they came out of the factory or I leave them in thier work clothes. ;)
I have NO prob with someone painting or powder coating thier engines "bright & shiny"....I DO, however have a problem with painting them pink, purple or some other ridiculous color &/or putting on bright chrome or shiny brass exhaust pipes on engines & old tractors....THAT is just plain WRONG!!! :headbang:

CubCadet107

Registered
I agree with Ackman 100% I like my engines in either painted in their original colors or in the natural look. I also beleive that you should do whatever you like, I just don't like when people changing the way it was meant to look by doing wrong colors or adding s!$% that would never belong on it.

ListerDiesel

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
10/24/2016
Al:

Powder coat comes in gloss, semi-gloss and matt finishes. We use semi-gloss a lot in preference to full gloss as it does look better.

Have seen painted engines in mirror-like finishes also.

Peter

R

Rag

When I go to a gun show, I don't go, WOW....look at that 100 year old all rusted up gun. Well cared for machinery is a pleasure to look at. Dirt and rust is not cute or an enhancement.
But if that's what you like, go for it. I'll look at it and imagine it's potential if restored.

Oilzum

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/19/2019
I have NO prob with someone painting or powder coating thier engines "bright & shiny"....I DO, however have a problem with painting them pink, purple or some other ridiculous color &/or putting on bright chrome or shiny brass exhaust pipes on engines & old tractors....THAT is just plain WRONG!!! :headbang:[/B][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Then I guess you really hate the candy color Maytags with the chrome exhaust :O:eek::cool:
One of the bad things with powdercoating is the fact that it will chip and cannot be spot repaired. It will also burn if it gets too close to an exhaust pipe. I have powdercoated lots of stuff with pretty good luck but I have yet to do an old engine..
Hmm a Candy Orange Maytag twin with gold Moondust flake in it, flipped cylinders with chrome exhaust stacks, polished flywheel, chrome pulley, chrome kick guard and a polished air cap.....Sweet !!!

S

Sky

Well i mean, It does make sence in a way. Seem's like no matter how prettyed up they are there still like a pig :D Clean a pig up and whats it do, go wallow in the mud again. But there is nothing wrong with a well maintenenced machine eaither. I just dont paint them inless there absolutly ugly with 6 layers of diferent paint on them or rusty and pitted to a degree that you WANT to use paint...atleast primer to keep further rust at bay.