• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Powder Coat

95gts

Registered
I powder coat my cars and was thinking of doing a couple of my antique briggs engines. Is this desirable in the hobby? I just purchased a lot of antique exhaust from antique small engine and was going to PC them Silver, high temp engine manifold silver...It will stay new looking till 450 degrees, I dont think small engines come close to 450 but could use a IR thermometer to check. Is powder coat appreciated or frowned upon in the hobby. BTW I have PC for a number of show cars, so the results are near perfect!

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Have no idea, but, I'd do one, and go to a show with it and see what kind of walk by comments you get on it.

Bill Sherlock

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I haven't checked but suspect the area around the opening for the muffler could reach in excess of 500 degrees F. When I repaired some stripped threads for a muffler on a Tecumseh engine held on with 1/4" bolts the repair lasted all of a couple of minutes after I started the engine.

Bill

95gts

Registered
PC the parts, you can PC anything that could handle 400 degrees. I always wanted to do a car, but think the sheet metal would warp, leaving a mess.

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

I haven't checked but suspect the area around the opening for the muffler could reach in excess of 500 degrees F. When I repaired some stripped threads for a muffler on a Tecumseh engine held on with 1/4" bolts the repair lasted all of a couple of minutes after I started the engine.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I have to check with IR temp gauge. I do a lot of car manifolds, and they hold up well except when the engine runs poorly. I figure a small engine would not be close to a big block chevy,. but we will have to check!

Bill Sherlock

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
By manifolds, I assume you're talking about intake manifolds? I've seen exhaust manifolds cherry red, which I believe is in the range of 1200 degrees F.

Air cooled engines run much hotter than a water cooled engine. That's why it's better to run straight #30 oil in them instead of a multigrade like 10W30 at temperatures above freezing.

Bill

95gts

Registered
No I do exhaust manifolds. The only way the burn PC off is if they have a bad mixture. If the gas in the cc does not burn, it will burn on the hot exhaust pipe. Turning it cherry red. If the car is tuned correctly, it wont happen.
Intake manifolds get regular powder, exhaust manifolds get a high temp, less shiney powder.
If it can with stand the temp, I could do the inside and outside of the muffler making very hard to damage.
here is a link to PC manifolds.
http://www.caswellplating.com/powder-coating/powder-coating-colors/high-temperature-powder-for-headers-exhaust-applications/high-temp-silver-powder-coating-1-lb.html

Alot of people do it, I never had a complaint.

95gts

Registered
No Problem, I might have give a old briggs a shot of powder coat. I thinking just gloss black would look best!

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Go For It !

One nice thing about powder coat paint is that it is more resistant to fuel & oil, and coild springs can be powder coated and not have the paint crack and flake when the springs operate, and if done right will even hold up to being hit with a hammer without chipping (unless of course you hit it hard enough to break something.... then all bets are off)

Are you sending the parts out to be professionally done, or using the Eastwood Tool Company's home powder coating kit ? If you're using the home kit, what kind of luck have you had with it, and do you have any tips to share ?

As far as doing sheet metal.... you might get by with it on small stamped parts like fan shrouds on small engines, (but try it on one you can afford to waste if it doesn't work), but larger relatively flat car body parts like a hood or door panel would warp like crazy.

95gts

Registered
I was going to send out all my stuff, but it was just to costly, so I read up and did it myself. It was a large purchase at first but after a couple months I did enough parts for other people to cover the cost and so mine for free.
Best advice is if your a detail person, you have great sucsess. Like paint work 99% is in the prep. PC is actually a peice of cake after all the work is done.

Some stuff I did. Some my customer products, and mine. I never used eastwood products. I do alot of candy colors. and some custom powders I thought of.

c

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

candy blue

too much for reply/...I try split this up...now wait 120 seconds :(

95gts

Registered
bracket is PC Chrome, look like a nice brushed aluminum piece

5.0 mustangs engine in Chrome PC and candy red

edelbroke upper done

Dale Barnett

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/24/2013
By manifolds, I assume you're talking about intake manifolds? I've seen exhaust manifolds cherry red, which I believe is in the range of 1200 degrees F.Bill
Take your most loved air cooled engine out and run it at night and watch the flame come out the exhaust port.
Well over 450 deg and very close to 1000 deg.

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
"....Much stronger than paint and lasts forever."

Amen to that!
I have a belt guard off of a Sears tiller that I wanted to repurpose for another project. Threw it in the blast cabinet and I can't hardly touch the stuff. Takes about 5 minutes to clear a spot the size of a quarter.
Brake fluid doesn't eat it, either.

95gts

Registered
I bake in a 400-450 degree oven...Even for small parts I can use a toaster oven. Time really depends on the part"thickness" and powder applied, and if its a 1-2 stage powder.
Thanks for the reply about muffler getting close to 1000 degrees. Now I have to run my engine and use my IR temp gauge to tell. I plan on update soon.
Best way to remove Pc is Aircraft stripper....put it on thick and after 8 hours peels away easy. Couple applications and your done!