• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

powerkraft generator

circuitman

Registered
hey guys wanna pick your brains on this one. have the above generator it is 1000 watt ,3hp briggs & stratton engine. no recoil starter, it has the cup type starter that you wind the rope around & then pull real hard. my question is is the nut that holds the flywheel on is it like a regular bolt thread or is just the opposite of a regular bolt. had a guy to wring the shaft off of one once. he used a 1/2" impact. thought the nut came off, it did with part of the crank shaft was with it. but was able to repair.the reason i need to get it off is to clean up the points. i know i could buy a coil with the built in module or a atom ignition module. but would like keep it original. thanks in advance!:D:D:D

Joe Romas

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
I'm 99% sure, it's been a long time, that it's a "normal" right hand thread.
Lefty losy righty tighty.

I'm positive the recoil ones are right handed threads.

Joe

Kris Golden

Registered
ALL those old cast iron block, 2-bolt base Briggs engines have a LEFT handed thread on the crankshaft nut.
Briggs thought they'd loosen themselves while running with standard threads.

circuitman

Registered
just an update, got nut & flywheel off today with no problem,the nut was a LEFT HAND thread.i have the strange feeling till they went with the recoil starter is they all had left hand threads, when the recoil came along right hand threads were used.:D:D:D

johner

Registered
Usually the nut comes of in the opposite direction the engine turns. This keeps the nut from loosing up. My observation over the years.

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/22/2020
Never say Never. I pulled a flywheel off of an aluminum 1953 Briggs last weekend. Rope start and left handed thread. I don't know how the rope starter cup stays on. I guess I'm too weak to loosen it.