• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Pratt Institute Power Plant

Jim Mackessy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1_dp7iMJ7c

For those of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting Conrad Milster or seeing his wonderful demonstrations of the Pratt Institute Power Plant, here is an oppurtunity to "sit in" on one of his presentations. This plant survived into the present due to the fact that the D.C. power was needed to run the older elevators at the Institute. The elevators have since been converted to more modern A.C. machines, so the plant is mostly for show now, but what a show! Load the link above! - Jim Mackessy

Seafarer12

Registered
That looks like a pretty cool place. I love old power plants. I fell in love with steam in the first plant I worked in. 3 steam ships and 1 plant later I still love it.

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Conrad also runs all the steam engines in the industrial hall each Sept when the Conn Antique Machinery Assoc has their fall festival at the show grounds in Kent CT and its always a pleasure to listen to him there. He is an institution at that show.

Jim Mackessy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
I don't know when, but I do know that Conrad does do tours of the plant. There is a whistle blow I'm pretty sure on New Years Day. I'll try to find out more. - Jim Mackessy