• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Prep over old primer/rust

Doug Kimball

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
Working on a 12 hp Stover RH. It was sandblasted & primed approx. 15 years ago by P.O. then left out in the elements. Now a patchwork of old light gray primer & rust. In previous attempts in similar cases I've power wire brushed & re-primed then brush painted two coats only to have it peel after a couple of years. My question is how do I properly prep for brush paint to prevent peeling. Most pieces too large to put in my blast cabinet. Suggestions appreciated.IMG_1202(Medium).jpegIMG_1391 (Medium).jpeg

Talsie

Registered
Working on a 12 hp Stover RH. It was sandblasted & primed approx. 15 years ago by P.O. then left out in the elements. Now a patchwork of old light gray primer & rust. In previous attempts in similar cases I've power wire brushed & re-primed then brush painted two coats only to have it peel after a couple of years. My question is how do I properly prep for brush paint to prevent peeling. Most pieces too large to put in my blast cabinet. Suggestions appreciated.View attachment 382843View attachment 382844
If it were me i would sand blast it again and prime it with some good primer. That way YOU know it was done right.

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
I was also going to recommend the Ospho. It is phosphoric acid and looks like mint mouthwash and taste lemony/acidic if you get it on your hands.

I'm a little confused about the consistency of my results. I have used it where it'll turn rust absolutely black. I believe they call that iron phosphate? but other times it doesn't seem to turn the rest black the same way.

Really worth looking into this product.