• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Preserving Polished Brass?

Farmall_Doctor

Registered
Thanks for the replies and discussion, folks! I also came to the realization that it's oxidation that needs to be prevented. Just to experiment, I took a couple of pet cocks that I had polished to a nice lustre and applied "Mother's Original Carnauba Cleaner Wax". I left it overnight in the shop and cleaned the haze off the next morning. WOW! That brass went from "nice!" to "Wow! I can see my reflection!!" I can feel the difference with a towel too. The unwaxed brass grabs the rag, and the waxed is slippery, so the wax did "take". I was also surprised how dark the applicator got from the wax application, seeing as I had cleaned them as much as possible. I think it's worth a shot! My untreated oilers faired well out in the elements last year from July until late October, so an anti-oxidant on them should be even better.
Darryn

Farmall_Doctor

Registered
Here are some of my completed pieces. They all started almost black with tarnish! Carburetor cleaner took off the oily grime and crusty grease, then some of the pieces I had to use muriatic acid to lift the oxidation. 50 percent with water or stronger. The round pieces I spun in the lathe and used steel wool or 2000 grit sandpaper. Pet-cocks with heavy signs of usage got the wire wheel treatment. Don't ever use a wire wheel on larger pieces.. Just small cast ones. The Oilers got completely disassembled and rebuilt. Then over to the buffing wheel for white grit, then rouge. Good old Brasso put a nice color to them, then the wax made them shine!

Attachments

Fred Van Hook

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/05/2019
Here are 2 products that work very well.. Zud is for very heavy tarnish and needs something put on after using because the brass will tarnish again very quickly and requires you using gloves...
Brite Boy is a stand alone polish and has a very bright finish. Preservation for long term shine would be another product probably like the Carnauba wax or the music instrument coating that was mentioned.

Attachments

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
While they don't have a high shine, wax is what is used on bronze statutes to keep them from tarnishing. We have a large statue of Lincoln here on our town square and each year it gets a good waxing to protect it from the elements. There's a product called "Bar Keepers Friend" (found at a lot of groceries, Dollar General, etc) that is a very fine cleaning product, probably similar to Zud. In years past it was used by bar keepers to shine the brass railings and edges on their bar. Wet a cloth rag, sprinkle a little Bar Keepers on it and it will up the brass ready for the day.

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
I read about Sharkhide. It is a secrete blend of resins and solvents. The new coat will melt and blend into the first coat. It sure sounds like a Lacquer. What other clear finish coat melts under new coat ? Tried Crylon plastic coat many years ago , and doesn't hold up. Ron