• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Price increase of Honda eu7000is? Shortage?

HouseBuilder328

Registered
Was almost ready to pull the trigger (to slim my bank account!) to buy the Honda eu7000is and have noticed the prices have gone up to around $4499 and not budging, since about beginning of Dec. The prices used to be steady around $3999.

Is this due to a shortage of this particular generator? I'm not used to objects/things increasing in value even after being out for several years (other than houses and classic cars).

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Honda-EU7000IS-Portable-Generator/p14017.html

AlexV

Registered
Was almost ready to pull the trigger (to slim my bank account!) to buy the Honda eu7000is and have noticed the prices have gone up to around $4499 and not budging, since about beginning of Dec. The prices used to be steady around $3999.

Is this due to a shortage of this particular generator? I'm not used to objects/things increasing in value even after being out for several years (other than houses and classic cars).

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Honda-EU7000IS-Portable-Generator/p14017.html
WOW that's quiet a price increase

radiodoc

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2021
I think it may be a combination of tariff and shortage. It has a check box on the page to check stating one understands the units are on backorder.

AlexV

Registered
Its a price increase. Camping world also has it now at 4,449.99, and Honda's new list price on their web page is 4,959.95

Last edited:

HouseBuilder328

Registered
Isn't the eu7000is made in India? The US admin doesn't have heavy tariffs against India and as a matter of fact are trying to improve trade with them. But I understand every product is "global" and the analogy of the shoulder bone is connected to the hip bone, which is connected to the knee bone, which is connected to the ankle bone, etc applies here.

But still when we first started discussing tariffs, they said it would only increase prices of certain products a small-medium amount. Like $100 for a washer/dryer, for example.

An increase of over $500 for a generator is ridiculous and difficult to attribute to tariffs. Also seems wrong to just jack up the price $500 just because there is a "shortage." Combining the two still doesn't make sense to me, but then again I'm new to the generator world.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
They know what the price should be to generate maximum value for the shareholders (owners). That is where the price "should" be, no more no less.

HouseBuilder328

Registered
I called Honda customer service and asked about the price increase and the guy on the phone told me to email the main product question line. Here's the reply I got by email:

"The current retail price for an EU7000is is $4995.95, the price increase is due to the cost increase of raw materials to produce generators and tariffs being placed on many products. Please let us know if you have any questions, thank you."

Just great - there are many analysts saying these Trump admin tariffs might last years...

billinjax

Registered
"The current retail price for an EU7000is is $4995.95, the price increase is due to the cost increase of raw materials to produce generators and tariffs being placed on many products. Please let us know if you have any questions, thank you."
I guess what I don't understand is how much of the generator is built from parts sourced via China. I think someone said the engine was built in India or perhaps the whole thing is assembled in India. I always thought most of the components would be sourced from India, Japan, or even the US. If the majority of the generator had Chinese components, then why not just build the entire thing there instead of importing/exporting so many piece parts? I recall this was explained here years ago in another thread.

I'm skeptical Honda really had a $500 per unit cost increase due to tariffs. I have no problem with a price increase for a premium product but this response from them seems a bit disingenuous.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
I can't speak to the $500, but even if they don't source the particular material from China, a rising tide lifts all boats and the rising cost of Chinese goods will cause the cost of everything similar to rise as well.

The cost of our generator parts has risen all across the board and across all manufacturers. Specifically attributed to the tariffs.

HouseBuilder328

Registered
One question, why does Honda Canada website list the eu7000is as much cheaper? It is $4999 CAD, which is around $3700 USD.
https://powerequipment.honda.ca/generators/ultra-quiet-7000i-es

Then check out this Canadian dealer where the price is still $4999 CAD:
https://www.westsidehonda.ca/inventory/v1/2015/Honda-Power/By-Model/Inverter-Series-Generators/EU7000is/Base--Selkirk-Manitoba---2477911

Why is there such a big price difference between buying this in Canada and the US? That's almost an $800 price difference.

HouseBuilder328

Registered
update: I emailed Honda of America with that and here is their reply:

"We cannot advise on Canada since it is a different product, yes it is still an eu7000is but Canadian generators are different from generators fro the US market. We are not aware of any tariffs placed on products being shipped to Canada unlike the tariffs on products coming into the US. Please let us know of any further questions, thank you."

AlexV

Registered
FYI, I just purchased an EU7000 from my local shop for $3999.oo
Your lucky. I've been looking around and it seems everyone has raised the price. I don't think at the new price if I was think about buying two plus the kit to parallel them I would go with Honda.

HouseBuilder328

Registered
I just ordered an eu7000is from toolbarn.com for $3999. It has it listed on their site from the original price of $4449. If you go to their website and search for eu7000, it shows up. However, I can no longer go to the page, but I am able to add it to the cart. That happened after I ordered.

Locally, everyone has increased their price to $4449 with some local retailers selling it for $4899! Half of them said they couldn't get one for me until late March.

AlexV

Registered
I just ordered an eu7000is from toolbarn.com for $3999. It has it listed on their site from the original price of $4449. If you go to their website and search for eu7000, it shows up. However, I can no longer go to the page, but I am able to add it to the cart. That happened after I ordered.

Locally, everyone has increased their price to $4449 with some local retailers selling it for $4899! Half of them said they couldn't get one for me until late March.
I think a lot of them went down to the Caribbean after the storms. Words out on how fuel efficient the EU7000"s are.

Wayne 440

Registered
My two cents- tariffs notwithstanding, most of the increase is probably just the supply and demand equation in action. That model has gained a reputation as a fuel efficient, reliable set and Honda is probably selling them as fast as they can be made. When you are selling so much product that you have backorders, why not raise the price?

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
My two cents- tariffs notwithstanding, most of the increase is probably just the supply and demand equation in action. That model has gained a reputation as a fuel efficient, reliable set and Honda is probably selling them as fast as they can be made. When you are selling so much product that you have backorders, why not raise the price?
Conversely, if you do not raise the price, then you are always going to be sold out, making your customers angrier than if they had to pay a higher price, and driving them to your competitors.