• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Problem at the Tobacco Valley Flywheelers Fall Show

jager

Registered
I attended the Tobacco Valley Flywheelers Fall Show, located at Haddam Meadows State Park off Rt154 in Haddam, CT this past weekend. I was real busy on Saturday, so I went on Sunday, arriving mid-morning. I was surprised to find that over half of the exhibitors/vendors had left the previous evening. I've attended this show for several years, and although smallish, it was always alive with displays, vendors and life. I know I was rather perplexed and disappointed. Several other folks I talked to were equally disappointed. As usual, those that were exhibiting put on very fine displays but there were so few. Two good friends who attended Saturday both indicated it was well attended by exhibitors, vendors and visitors that day.

Do any of you think the poor economy is to blame? Or is it something else? If a club advertises a two day event, do not the exhibitors have an obligation to be there to support the full event for the club? Just wondering...:shrug:

Tom Marshall Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/29/2019
Jager: you answered your own question. you had something to do on Sat. so you only went on Sunday! tom

Preston Wells

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
I know that several of the shows we attend here in the southeast start on Wed/Thur/Fri and are over on Sat. In several instances this was a result of exhibitors leaving early.

Nick

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/18/2014
Most all the shows I go to are like this. All the action takes place Fri afternoon and Sat morning and by mid afternoon Sat most everyone goes home. In fact the show I'm going to this weekend used to be Sat/Sun and is now Sat only as no one stayed for the second day. Not everyone has time to stick around the whole weekend but most do what they can to support the shows they like.

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
jager I went on Sun also because I had too much side work on Saturday to do. I heard there were many more people the day before also. My take on this great show is this. Ive been going to it many years. Its always been a great show, always has prob the best food I eat at any shows I go too, but the thing is there are lots of other events going on the the tri-state area that same weekend for us old engine guys so I think most people that left were at another local show so they could do both that weekend. A good friend suggested I attend the Uphams show and was I able to free both days up I would have hit both shows last weekend but time wasnt on my side. Im sure the economy plays a small part in our hobby as well.

Craig DeShong

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/13/2019
Jager
I very rarely get to attend a show for more than one day. I work in IT, and Sunday is the day to do maintenance on the systems while everyone is out, so Sunday is usually a “all hands on deck” day at work for my group. I’m looking forward to being retired in a few years and staying for the WHOLE show. Looks like most others have obligations of a similar nature.

Gary Pflum

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2014
It seems that most of the larger shows attract exhibitors from the host club area and also from greater distances. The exhibitors that travel the farthest usually come early (Friday) and then will try to get an early start back on the road Sunday mornings or even Sat. evening.

jager

Registered
I've always gone to this show as a spectator, not as a commited exhibitor. I would assume, as an exhibitor who commits to a show, there-by taking up one of a limited number of spaces, that out of respect for the club sponsoring/working the show, I would only do so if I intended to be there every day the show is advertised to the public. Having been an exhibitor at many firearm shows over the years, I always stayed the complete show. I wonder if the sponsoring clubs, attempting to fill spaces, accept exhibitors that let them know they intend to be there less than the full length of the show? Perhaps, the shows should be reduced to one day instead. To the general public, that attends these shows for entertainment and exposure to our passion/hobby, and makes these shows possible, ends up staying away in the following years due to the disappointment they experience. Disappoint enough of the spectators, and the end result might to be the end of the show(s).

Tom G

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
"If a club advertises a two day event, do not the exhibitors have an obligation to be there to support the full event for the club?"

Exhibitors have no obligation to show up at all, let alone stay for two days. It's a voluntary thing. They are donating their time, and how much time they are willing to donate is up to them.

I've seen times when I would work 10 to 12 hour days all week, which left me no time to run my errands during the week. My only opportunity to do my banking, and go to business places would be on Saturday mornings. Then, I could leave to exhibit at local shows, afterward. Naturally, this made me late arriving at shows. I endured comments about not showing up until noon. All I can say is "So What?" I did what I could.

And yes, I leave on Saturday evenings. If I get home before dark. I unload. Sundays are spent taking care of chores at home, and preparing for another work week. It's called responsibility. Sometimes, I try to work in a little resting up, too.

Engine shows are a hobby, and have to be balanced with our real obligations. Spending two days exhibiting at a show, just to entertain folks, IS NOT one of them.

M&WJOE

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
I try to show on Sundays because a lot of spectators show up on Sundays. I have been showing engines or some other stuff for almost 30 years. In the 90`s things changed for some reason. We used to show till Sunday evening. Now there is no one left to show on Sundays. I know everyone is really busy and have a long drive sometime. But I still feel I owe some of the spectators to show my stuff. Maybe I am old fashioned and a little selfless on this point. The shows are dying because not enough people care anymore. I have been the last guy standing at a lot of shows and a lot of people come through and ask where everything is. I don`t like to be a one man show but I will keep doing it. You all need to come to the show at Thresherman Park 2.5 Mi. north of Booneville Indiana over the weekend of the 15th Of October. I guarantee you will see some stuff running on Sunday. We have one hell-of-a-good-show planned. I`ll have my wifes 60hp Fairbanks&morris pumping water. Now is that Morris or morse. I`m not good at spelling. M&WJoe:cool:

Mike McKnight

Registered
Pretty well most shows down South have gone to having a two day show (Fri. & Sat.) instead of a three day show (Fri. Sat. Sun.) because so few exhibitors are left on Sunday. I know one pretty good sized show agonized about it a few years ago, as they'd ALWAYS had a show on Sunday (for close to 40 yrs), but finally decided to go for the 2-day approach, as there just wasn't much going on Sundays any more.

I've gone to a few shows up on the other side of the Mason-Dixon line the last couple of years on Sunday because I had to work on Sat. or other commitments, and soon after noon the shows are pretty dead. :( Kinda sucks if that's the only time you can go, but I understand if you're a working man away from home, a lot of times you've got to pack it up-n-go if you have to be home for work on Monday AM, and also that's another motel bill you'd have to pay to stay another night.

Mike M

Marc P

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/28/2014
jager, I guess I'm part of the problem too! I don't even stay or show on fridays either. Mostly just saturdays. Here's why, when your body is too broken down to sleep on the ground in a tent or in your truck you are left with paying for a motel, if there is one available, most small shows I go to there is none. Why pay for a motel room or a camper, this is hobby, not necessity. And finally most people know if a show has any security they cannot be everywhere at once and if I can't sleep with my engines they don't stay! There is still a stolen Maytag upright out there somewhere that was stolen more than a couple years ago and I don't want to add my stuff to the list. Most shows are glad to have all kinds of exhibits and with this comes all kinds of exhibitors. Between health, family, work, church, ect some people can't make it all days. How much less would the show be if the "part timers" just stayed home? I wish I were ten years younger, but I'm not.

oldproff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/03/2013
In the rural south there are a lot of very small churches. I went to a 3 day show in Alabama, Friday was very well attended Saturday even bigger. People started leaving mid afternoon sat. So I was asking several about this. They were telling me how small their churches were and of their comitment with their church. One exibitor who lived close left and came back after church. So everyone has their own comitments and does the best they can. Bill K

Leonard Keifer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2018
As a one-dayer, usually a Saturday, I have to agree with Marc P. Sleeping on the ground or in my truck bed doesn't have the appeal it once did and motels can get expensive, if you can find one.

If a show is Friday and Saturday, instead of Saturday and Sunday, how many folks can afford to take a day off work 10 - 20 times a year (depending on how many shows you attend) to be at a show. Once again exhibitors will most likely only come on Saturday.

I know it's disappointing to show organizers and attendees when the second (or third) day of the show is light on exhibits so I guess the number of days for a show might be determined by how badly the local club members want to play with their toys and BS with their friends!

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Ive found that foot traffic all but disappears on Sun afternoons so no point staying if anyone whos coming to the show as an exibitor or spectator has dried up for the weekend. By Sun afternoon people have already reached where they wanted to go and are winding down to head back home for the day after getting out to do whatever.

MSchreiber

Subscriber
different strokes 4 different folks, i go as a vacation and what happens, happens. with all of todays distractions and attractions engine/tractor shows are going to bottom out and diehards are going to network into smaller groups.

ELIDAS

Registered
[. I've attended this show for several years, and although smallish, it was always alive with displays, vendors and life. I know I was rather perplexed and disappointed. Several other folks I talked to were equally disappointed. As usual, those that were exhibiting put on very fine displays but there were so few. Two good friends who attended Saturday both indicated it was well attended by exhibitors, vendors and visitors that day.

I'm vice president of TVF so I was more disappointed than most. I was originally going to respond to the show problems thread on the Flames section but since we were mentioned by name. We don't know what is causing the issue. Our show has free parking (without a nazi attendant) and free admission. We do not direct exhibitors. As long as they are behind the string it's fine. There is a separate vendor area. Our grounds are large, level and mowed with a nice view of the Connecticut river. We give out free pie and coffee with entertainment to the people that stay over Saturday night. Its possible to stay the weekend and not spend a dime. Last year Sunday was a little weak but nothing like this year. What can we do to improve?

Zira

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
As noted, this seems to be a trend and even shows that aren't open Sunday see people leaving early on Saturday. I only do a couple shows, and only one of them does Sunday. I camp at it, and make sure I stay & keep my stuff running as late as I can, taking the tent & such down first, packing the motors last. I can do this because it is fairly local & Monday is a holiday:D. The show does its part (mostly) - the fixed & club exhibits are run, the food vendors are there, church service is provided, etc. I encourage others to do this when practical, but it is cetrainly different if you have a long drive or have to pay for a hotel. For me, given the work involved, I would hate to drive to a show, unload & set up, reload & drive home all in one day, but then I have a lot of engines. If a show is 2 days, how many spectators will come Friday during the day? Seaturday & Sunday model, and that folks than can stay, will.