• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Problem Isn't Your Computer

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Some may not have noticed, but at the moment GOOGLE IS DOWN.

Several times in the past two weeks hackers have staged DOS (Denial Of Service) attacks against the giant company. Hard to combat as the attacks are hitting DNS (Dynamic Name Server) all over the world. The DNS is what converts www.xxx.com to the actual numeric address.

So when Google can't be reached, but other links from your bookmarks can, it isn't a problem with your computer. It's just some group of jerk hackers getting their jollies.
Doc

slip knot

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2019
Re: Problem Isn't Your Computer.

My IPhone has been showing no signal a lot the last few days. I wonder if its related?

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

My IPhone has been showing no signal a lot the last few days. I wonder if its related?
Unlikely. Unless you had Google set as homepage and software judged connectivity by browser response. More likely trouble with nearby cell tower.
Doc

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015

Works fine for me. I'll add fuel to the fire and I'll spit out the three culprits.
*Kinda but thankfully not wish ledd het and spunky would chime in for comic amusement.

Ok to stop the curio,
Soviets
Chinners
Rocket boy

Place yer bets lads n lassies.

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

Must be a regional thing. I have not had any google trouble with searches.

Don't use their email, and do not allow cookies either.
They are back, long ago. The outages don't usually last long. Suspect that they have several hot teams of programmers around the world keeping an eye on things.

Latest Google weirdness for me was to suddenly get notice that some family of four (with same last name) from Boston had booked a flight to Orlando FL and event got added to MY google calendar. Easy enough to delete both notice email and calendar entry, but dang near impossible to find setting to block such things.
Doc

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

I think Google knows way too much about you when they know your calendar. Do you really want them to know you have an appointment with the proctologist on Tuesday?
The ONLY thing I use "calendar" for is to keep a log of generator maintenance. So if they can get rich off of such entries as : "Oil change T4k 3205.3" then they are welcome to it.
Doc

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015

I think Google knows way too much about you when they know your calendar.
If you want to know how much google REALLY knows about you.......give the authorities a good enough reason to subpoena your internet history....... :eek: ....... :hide:

MoRo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/15/2019

If you want to know how much google REALLY knows about you.......give the authorities a good enough reason to subpoena your internet history....... :eek: ....... :hide:
And, how, would YOU know? :O