• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Problem with AMANCO Mule MAGNETO

colo

Registered
Good morning,
I have a problem with the magneto of an AMANCO Mule 3 hp.
The engine was ok,
https://youtu.be/gCxNZhQD_50

but the magneto, cause seizure bearing bush, had a crash.
The zamak body of the magnet was broken in several parts, and I made a "darning" meticulous of all the pieces.
But disassembling everything, I discovered that the coil and the whole rotor were new, recently rebuilt.
But who did the work has not put references for timing.
I have refurbished the magneto.
But by testing it with a 12-volt light bulb, the filament of the bulb became only slightly orange.
Then yesterday it was re-magnetized, now the light bulb test is ok, even turning slowly produces an intense light.
Well ... no ... here comes the problems.
I tried and tried the magneto on the engine again but I can't start it.
I tried in all positions: the gear has 25 teeth and I tried it in 25 positions .... I have my arm on fire !!

P.S. the engine works perfectly with battery and coil.

What can I do?
What am I doing wrong?
Help!!!!!

Thanks

DavidRaines

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/26/2019
On the magneto end plate there should be arrows. Look at the arrow that matches the direction the gear turns. Loosen the magneto from the mount, there are buttons that will push in when you turn the magneto. Turn the magneto until the button lands on the depression (use the button with the appropriate arrow). Rotate the engine until the igniter just snaps. Mount the magneto and it should be in time.
The magneto has the highest voltage at the point where the button would be depressed and you want that when the igniter snaps.
Dave

ScooterBob

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
If magneto timing pins or marks are missing, you can feel the high point as well. It's half way between the at rest positions the magnets pull the armature to. Park the flywheels at ignitor trip position, remove mag and turn the gear to the high point, and then set it into place with the gear mesh.

Did you make any changes to the ignitor when running it on a battery and coil? Rotary mags like the points closed until trip, but that wreaks havoc on battery and coil set ups so often spring adjustments are made to keep them open most of the time, until they get pushed shut right before trip position. I'm speaking generally here, I'm not familiar with the particular details of your engine, and can't see any pictures of it.

colo

Registered
I thank you for the advice, but I have already done these things, but the result is not positive.
I will retry ...

mmcdonald

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/13/2017
Sorry if it was mentioned but I didn't see it, and I'm not familiar with that engine but............ With the ignitor points open be sure there is no continuity from the ignitor post to ground. If there is, you'll have to clear it, re-insulate with mica or the like. Good luck.

colo

Registered
Sorry if it was mentioned but I didn't see it, and I'm not familiar with that engine but............ With the ignitor points open be sure there is no continuity from the ignitor post to ground. If there is, you'll have to clear it, re-insulate with mica or the like. Good luck.
with battery and coil working, then the ignitor is OK :)

The magneto illuminates the 12 volt bulb,
but with the magneto it does not go :shrug:

DavidRaines

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/26/2019
With magneto, igniter points should be closed. With bat & coil points should be open. Make sure the mag is grounded good.

colo

Registered
I'm a fool ....... you know what the problem was?
The ignitor contacts were dirty.
:eek:: Rant:: Scrollata di spalle:

The engine has now returned to work better than a watch.

This happened:
I tried with the battery and coil and the engine started (in fact, thinking about it, it was a bit of effort) but it started up.
Probably battery + coil have more strength than the magneto and could "win" the ignitor scale.
I was not 100% sure of the magneto and therefore seeing that with the magneto the engine did not start, I blamed the magneto.

Then the doubt came to me ... I have an ignitor of a Galloway engine, perfect, shiny,
I try the magneto with the ignitor on the bench;
rotating the magneto manually, slowly,
and repeatedly striking the ...
super spark ...
EURECA.

All is well that ends well.

P.S. below is a small video of the bench test carried out on the magnet, 10 volts very slowly, at 30-40 volts speed