• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Pump Jack and Gas Engine Question


Hi, I am really confused and need some help. I am looking at a 118 Fairbanks Morse engine. I am wanting to put it on a small oilfield stripper well pump jack to pump water into a pond with a 4x48 inch cylinder at 350 ft.with 5/8 rod. Now, my question is, the oilfield place says with that engine I need a pump jack they call a #16. I didn't want to be too much of a pest and they said they never got anything that small so I am asking for someone to explain to me what makes a #16 and how I can measure it. I have found this little Baker pump jack but I don't know how to size it, the stroke is 11 inches and the gear box says "B80 35" stamped in it and "KG11" in the casting. I suspect this is smaller than a #16 because it had a little electric motor on it. I am several miles from electricity so the Fairbanks seems like a good fit as I do have gas right there. I can buy a larger Fairbanks but not sure how to size with another pump jack, if anyone has any pointers or knows of a good website to explain this, I would sure appreciate it. I really would like to hear that Fairbanks on a pump. :) Thanks


Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
You have a 48" cylinder. Your jack only has 11" of stroke. If you center the stroke of the jack, and the pump stroke, you connect them together and you can use what you have. You wont get full usage of the cylinder, but it will work. Of what purpose is the pond? irrigation, fishing, wildlife??? Is the water potable (can you drink it?)? Determining pulley sizes, will tell you how fast the pump will make water for you. To be sure the engine will handle it, you would have to calculate how much the rod and plunger would weigh and see what the engine needs to make the pump jack work, and at what speed.


Andrew, its for pond and irrigation use, the pond will have geothermal loops and another pump will take off the warm top water for irrigation. I am looking at a bigger dia cylinder but they are hard to find, guess I can lathe out the indards and use some SS polished tubing and make a larger one if I have to? Thanks

Allan Wright

Last Subscription Date
The 16 is the size of the gearbox. It stands for 16,000 inch ponds of torque. The 4” pump will will drive up the size of pumpjack needed quickly.
If you could find the tag on the pumpjack it should have a series of numbers on it like 16-32-11. The 16 represents the size of the gearbox in 1000’s inch pounds of torque (16,000). The 32 would represent the structure strength in 100’s of pounds (3,200). The 11 would be the longest stroke the pumpjack would make (11”).

If you could get a copy of an API RP-11L, you could calculate the size of pumpjack needed, what hp of engine would be required and the correct size of sucker rod needed. It has been almost 40 years since I filled one of these out. Surely there is one available on an app or electronic version now.

Good luck with your search.