• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Putnam Lathe on Craigslist

I have its twin in my shop. A 14" swing machine dating from approximately 1884, I saved it from being junked by a museum years ago. It's sitting against the wall opposite my 1920 Hendey 16".

The Putnam still had decent original paint and the ways, although mildly pitted, were actually quite good. I machined a back plate and installed a 4 jaw chuck then found the biggest surprise...... it was still accurate! It's a bit limited with no compound rest and the lead screw is at the REAR of the bed, but otherwise perfectly usable. If you're not in a big hurry it still does a nice job.

The seller is dreaming however, as old lathes are a bit of a drudge on the market. I'm a member of an antique machine tool website and the most anyone would pay for that is perhaps $250.......and that's if the seller helps load it!