• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Question for Wisconsin Experts

Leonard Keifer

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2018
I was given a National Mower Co riding gang mower with a large Wiscinsin engine. Unfortunately the id tag is missing from the engine. I can take pictures but need to know what you experts need to see to tell me what engine I have. I do know it has a Bendix carb (but maybe all Wisconsins have that kind of carb). It looks, to me, like the AEN replacement engine on the Bolens Ridemaster I just bought.

I've been told that it needs a carburetor kit. Is it likely that I can find one?

I'm fairly sure the mower is at least 30 and maybe 40 or 45 years old.

Havvey

Registered
Leonard Keifer said:
I was given a National Mower Co riding gang mower with a large Wiscinsin engine. Unfortunately the id tag is missing from the engine. I can take pictures but need to know what you experts need to see to tell me what engine I have. I do know it has a Bendix carb (but maybe all Wisconsins have that kind of carb). It looks, to me, like the AEN replacement engine on the Bolens Ridemaster I just bought.

I've been told that it needs a carburetor kit. Is it likely that I can find one?

I'm fairly sure the mower is at least 30 and maybe 40 or 45 years old.
if it is one cylinder it is most likley an a or b series parts are easily found go to ebay there is also several deelers on there look for rock creek.

Mike Schweikert

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Leonard,
I'd carefully dissasemble that carb and clean it out. I've got 3 Wisconsins on Beaver tractors. They are AKN and BKN varieties. They use Marvel-Schleber carbs, and full rebuild kits (jets included) are not available, just the needle valves and gaskets. I had good results just carefully cleaning and removing the welch plugs to get the idle circuit cleaned out. I did not use a rebuild kit and certainly you have nothing to lose but time in doing so. Rockcreek did have the kits but again they are not the full ones like you would see on briggs varieties.
Good luck
Mike

Zira

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Well, just a general picture of the front & the carb side would be a good start. Is the carb a side-draft or up-draft? If it is an up-draft, does it bolt directly to the block, or does it use a seperate intake manifold? If it uses a seperate manifold, does the exhaust screw into the same casting, or directly into the block? Does the cylinder jug un-bolt from the crank case, or is it all one casting? Does it have an outboard magneto, flywheel magneto, or distributer & points? What are the numbers on the carb & the magneto? If you are going to pull the head, the casting number on it is a good identifier. But the 2 basic pictures will narrow it down a lot.