• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Questions bout 1950 VAC Case Tractor- steering

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Yours is the early style, the steering box is open at the bottom and gets oil from the torque tube. The pipe plug by the huge gob of red grease should be the fill plug for the torque tube.

Nothing wrong with your pics, they show what they need to.

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
Thanks my friend
Also thanks for sending the site to get the tires from
I try to jack something up when greasing kingpins

Charlie

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
Thanks for the link bout the tractor tires. I dont want to get the tires, then the tires wont fit the rims or be the right size..
I admit that I dont know a lot about my Case VAC Tractor.
Wondering what size the front tires should be. Could use some help with this.
I plan on getting the tires that belongs on the tractor. Just dont know what the right size of the tires is.

Charlie

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
Thanks my friend
I understand about needing to jack the front end off the ground when greasing the King Pins
I looked on my tires that are on my tractor. Have not found the size of the tires. Plan on getting new tires for the front wheels.
Need to know what size my Case VAC tractor takes so I dont get the tires that will not fit or the wrong size

Charlie

Phil Johnson

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Any markings on the existing tires would not be the size you need anyway. The size specified for the rims on your tractor are 5:00 X 15 in.

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I think we've got that, Charlie... :wave:
One other thing you might check out is the thrust bearing that carries the load on the front wheels. Some of them are a needle bearing, some just 2 hard washers. The I&T book of course isn't real clear which your tractor has, but if they are bad, it may be a cause of steering hard...

Had the same problem with this 51 VAI. Just continue with the jacking the axle up, and make sure you see grease come out the bottom.

And FWIW... this particular steering box uses 2 different worm gears, all depending on the front axle arrangement.

Attachments

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
Want to Thank Everyone that commented on the hard steering problem on my Vac Case
I tried to get a pair of 3 rib - 5.50 - 15. I ended up settling for 2 - 3 rib 5.00 - 15. I got the new tires changed this weekend.
Here are couple pics of the new tires.
I test drove tractor a little bit - just enough to find out how the tractor steering is now. Needless to say . The 3 rib narrow tires steered A LOT BETTER.
It is like the difference of Night and Day.
Thanks EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

CharlieB

Registered
Want to Thank Everyone that commented on the hard steering problem on my Vac Case
I tried to get a pair of 3 rib - 5.50 - 15. I ended up settling for 2 - 3 rib 5.00 - 15. I got the new tires changed this weekend.
Here are couple pics of the new tires.
I test drove tractor a little bit - just enough to find out how the tractor steering is now. Needless to say . The 3 rib narrow tires steered A LOT BETTER.
It is like the difference of Night and Day.
Thanks EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!

(y)(y)(y) Glad it worked out for you.

DustyBar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2020
One issue we had with our VAC is the axle pivot pin at the center was very worn and allowed the caster to change. The top of the king pins or whatever they are called, tilted toward the rear. It was very difficult to steer at low speed.

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
I know that the front end needs to jacked up so the weight is off of the front end so the grease will get to where it needs to be.

Charlie