• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Questions for Portland Regulars

Keith B.

Registered
When is the best time to be at Portland? Its been many years since I have attended, and was wondering what the show and flea market is like before the official dates. What is the weekend before like?

Thanks

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
I would say Tues. thru Friday of show week would be the best. Before Tues and not a lot has arrived. Friday evening is a mass exodus from the grounds (all shows seem to be getting like this).

Paul Searl

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/20/2018
really? seems like most shows at least saturday is a viable day so those of us that still work for a living can attend a little more easily. (and then people complain theres not enough young people in the hobby) sorry, thats one of my gripes with Portland, they start so early by the end of the week everything is picked over and ready to go home.

we went a couple of years ago friday and saturday and saturday it was packed with golf carts and gators. I noticed people leaving on saturday, but for most of the day people were there. we do thursday afternoon and friday now, stuff is pretty well picked over by thursday afternoon, but the crowd and gators arn't as bad as on saturday.

DieselAddicted

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Friday evening is a mass exodus from the grounds (all shows seem to be getting like this).
Ya, before long a person will have to attend the 4 day shows a week prior to the the advertised starting day in order for there to be anything on the grounds to see,,, I wonder what has happened to show attendance?????:bonk:

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
I remember when I used to attend shows and not leave until Sunday afternoon. If anyone believes I'm incorrect in my assessment that there is a mass exodus at Portland on Friday evening, chime in. I'm not saying its the best thing for the show or those that desire (or need) to attend on Saturday. But, I believe its reality.

Bob Barrett

Registered
I agree with lcjudge that a large portion of folks leave at the end of Friday. Portland is one of a few shows that draw a tremendous number of vendors and exhibitors from across the country as well as Canada. Many of these people have a drive of several days ahead of them, and if you need to be back to work on Monday you have no choice. The Saturday show and market aren't empty, (at least in the morning), but are greatly diminished. By Saturday afternoon it's pretty well cleaned out.
The Saturday afternoon exodus at smaller shows has been a pet peeve of mine for several years. I still stay on for Sunday most times. It seems that shows without flea markets do better on Sundays around here. More emphasis on exhibiting seems to make a difference. (Just an observation….. I love shopping for rust as much as the next guy! ;)).
Bob

Lloyd W.

Registered
LCJudge is correct. Friday night and Saturday morning are when most people pull out. We get there Sunday afternoon and generally leave early Saturday. It's fun to watch the show
blossom and it gives us more time to visit with our Portland
family.