• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Questions - How do you do this on the new site?

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
We old farts have a hard time accepting new things including the new format of this site. Most of the time we learn by trial and error and sometimes by picking other member's brains. Although I'm a semi-old fart, I have a few questions to ask and hopefully someone may have an answer.
1) I don't see and "edit" button for subscribers to edit their posts. I type like crap and 9 out of 10 times I need to edit my text after I submit my post. Where is the edit button?
2) The old format showed our locations is each post. I don't see it here. Am I blind or is it missing?
3) …. (crap, I had three questions, but now I forgot the third question). It may come back to memory shortly and when it does I hope I can edit this post to include my third question.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

turtmaster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Hey John, FYI, I don't have the edit buttons either yet, also to find out where someone is from, just clicks / hover over the user's name, on their post, and a little like pop-up window will show, location and other type info, like number of posts.

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
Hey John, FYI, I don't have the edit buttons either yet, also to find out where someone is from, just clicks / hover over the user's name, on their post, and a little like pop-up window will show, location and other type info, like number of posts.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Thanks for the tip on how to see someone's location (y). I guess the edit function is a mystery(n).

001.jpg

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
It took a while for my edit button to show up. It’s at the bottom left next to “report”. I also miss seeing the info on folks right at the top of their posts. I also miss seeing the list people who have thanked or “liked”. I also miss seeing the list of those currently viewing a thread, down at the bottom. I also really miss the old icons. I wonder if some of these things might eventually be able to come back?

Keith

Kevin K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
My edit button has not shown up yet, but I'm assuming this is a work in progress and Harry is drowning in work. So I guess we will have to patiently wait to see what happens. I read somewhere here that the upgrade was prompted by the old version losing support. It seems to me there are considerably less postings since the changeover as people get used to the new look and feel of the forum. I hope we don't lose anyone because of difficulty adapting to the new format. Billy and Leon come to mind as both have said they dislike the new look.

When posting I always hit "preview" before "post reply" so I can correct any obvious mistakes. I avoid posting from a smart phone at all costs. I'm getting older and I appreciate having a 32" monitor.

PopsGarage

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
It is different, and it will take time to learn how to navigate and find the bells and whistles

Bob

Fred Van Hook

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/05/2019
The edit button does not show up for me till I make a post .. I do use the preview a lot.. Bad spelling, grammar and changing info.. After I post in the lower left corner it says: Report Edit Delete There I just edited this post (twice)...:)

Last edited:

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
The edit button does not show up for me till I make a post .. I do use the preview a lot.. Bad spelling, grammar and changing info.. After I post in the lower right corner it says: Report Edit Delete There I just edited this post (twice)...:)
I still don't see it.... Can someone snap a screen shot that clearly shows the edit button and where you see it on the screen?

Thanks,
JohnnyC
New Jersey

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
LOL I dont know if i did it right or not! but thats what i see after i make a post.

turtmaster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Tracy t, if you're on Windows, to do a screenshot, hit the ALT key on the keyboard then "prnt scrn" it's up by the delete key,
And then paste it into Windows paint or other photo editor, then save it, and upload.

Or if you're on Android, press and hold the power button for a moment and until you your, power off options list shows up, and, click, screenshot.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
well..... LOL i got the screen shot and it sent it to clip board what ever that is and it is MIA! LMAO!!

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
Jim that was my attempt at a screen shot, a copy and paste if you will! what happens if you try to edit that post? I may need to take it down.

I took it down but jim did get a screen shot of what i see.

Last edited:

turtmaster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Interesting, because when I'm on my Android phone, viewing the 'stak, even when I select view desktop site, I still don't have the edit button, oh well, I'm sure Harry will fix it in time, he's got a a lot of stuff on his plate right now, happy late birthday Harry!!!!!!!! Thanks for such a great form to be on!!!