• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Railway Speeder Cars

Steve Dawkins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/04/2016
These are interesting little vehicles that I remember seeing on tracks in years gone by. It's wonderful that some enthusiasts have restored them and get together occasionally for an excursion. It looks like a fun way to spend a weekend. It's nice that the railroad cooperates with the "speeders" in allowing the use of their tracks, although I'm surprised they do so, considering possible liability issues.

For the Onan folks, a CCK is featued at 7:20 into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlVgUrdvgME

Contaucreek

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2017
Re: Rail Speeder Cars

I would freak out going over a long tall trestle :eek:

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020

Wish the video had more 2 cycle "Fairmont" sound that I'm so familiar with, but it's a great video. Thanks.

Squatch253

Registered

It's nice that the railroad cooperates with the "speeders" in allowing the use of their tracks, although I'm surprised they do so, considering possible liability issues.
I know a few guys around here that have these cars and do these runs too, they told me that they only run with permission on certain short line railroads that do not operate on the weekends - major class 1 railways almost never allow speeders to operate on any of their lines ever, since they run 24/7 plus are ultra protective of their property and right-of-way.

I also know that the speeder cars must have the axles and wheels inspected for wear, and if they don't meet minimum specifications they aren't allowed on the tracks because of derailment risks - those trestles and steep trackside embankments would not be nice to have someone go off of, in a worst case scenario.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

I love the Blue Carman's Flag "Men Grilling"! :D

keith1944

Registered

I'm one of "those guys." Some railroads are very friendly to motorcar excursions while others are "No way." The national organization, NARCOA, arranges for liability insurance that operators must have in order to participate in a sanctioned event. It covers the host railroad against claims by others to the tune of $10 million. Excursion events are through affiliate organizations and organized and supervised by certified excursion coordinators. For more visit NARCOA.ORG

There are also some museum organizations that have track and are not connected with NARCOA.

Keith Van Atta
Roseburg, Oregon:salute:

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
There used to be a motor car club MCCOA, but don't know if they still exist. I have been looking for a Fairmont twin for years there was one at the Hudson Valley Auction several years ago, but it was torn apart and had a lot of parts missing.:(