• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Re: 1917 IHC Titan 10-20 engine

B

Bill Sherlock

Hi David,

No it wouldn't be illegal for you to send me the spark plug, but as far as I know you have to place a customs declaration sticker on the package showing the value as all parcels go through Canadian customs. Most parcels are opened and inspected although occassionally they will let the odd one through without inspection.

In the case of say a $7.00 spark plug the parcel will end up at Canadian customs. They may or may not open it but in any event they will value it at the current exchange rate which is in the range of 1.63 which would be $11.41 Cdn. Then they will apply the 7% GST tax = $.80 and 6% PST = $.68 = $1.48 total taxes. Then the Canadian post office extorts a $5.00 handling fee to remit the taxes when they collect them from you at the local post office on delivery. So the $7.00 spark plug will cost me $13.48 if you pay for postage. If I pay for postage the $7.00 plug will cost me more than double in our money.

Now if that plug was shipped by UPS the price would increase to $44.86 as they charge a $34 brokerage fee which is also subject to the 7% GST.

So you can see what kind of handicap we are dealing with here up in the great white north. At least we don't have 9' of snow in a week this year like some parts down east. (so far)

Bill

D

David Greenwalt

Jeez, I see why you used the term extort. Is it the same way with something coming from Canada into the U.S.? I have a friend that goes into Canada often to fish, maybe I should give him some plugs to put in his toolbox, and mail them to ya after he crosses the border. Later.

B

Bill Sherlock

Hi David,

I'm not sure about stuff from Canada going into the US. Do you want me to mail you a spark plug to try it out? Free trade you say, only a figment of the politicians' imagination.

Bill