• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Rear Engine Snapper

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Was given a rear engine 30" Snapper. Model M3010 1985. Had mice/rats in the battery box area around the solonoid. Electric starter doesn't work. coming off the solonoid, is a red wire, with a fuse, in line with it. Other end of wire? Where does it go? I can't find another piece of red wire where it logically would have been tied to?

gdstew

Registered
I don't remember an inline fuse, however, larger wire is starter to solenoid, and solenoid to battery. The 2 smaller wires, 1 is to starter switch, other is safety system. You also need power to the switch in order to trip the solenoid

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
I have the above wires, I thinking it somehow goes to the ignition switch but I find no corresponding red wire to tie it to. Hopefully, this afternoon, I'm going to un hook the switch and see about pulling all the wires out the rear and look for it.

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
One problem solved. I pulled the connector loose from the switch and pulled one of the wires coming out the back, back toward the rear, and bingo, there was the other end of the red wire. It is what electrified the solonoid to turn the starter. New battery and now it starts and runs. Other problem is, the gear selector is in neutral and it won't go in forward or reverse. I've got to stand it up on end and see if some of that safety junk I disconnected, is holding it in neutral, Otherwise it's just stuck from a few years of sitting.

gdstew

Registered
What won't go in forward or reverse, the shift lever or the machine won't drive??? If it won't drive, check the pin behind the wheel on the left side ( as sitting on it ). If the shifter lever doesn't move with the clutch pedal down, the center chain case is stuck. Loosen 1 boot and spray lube the hex shaft. The safety system is strictly for the ignition.

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
It's the second, I'll spray it,tomorrow, when I've worked up the strength to stand it up, again. Ha.

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
GDSTEW. Some lube on the hex shaft remedied the problem. After much work, I't like a new one, Tubes in all the tires rewired, plastic bushings in spindles, new battery, carb off, soaked and back on, new air filter, new oil in crankcase and a few foul words, it purrs

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
If you had grown up, with a western auto 20" cut, Clinton rope start mower, a 30" rear engine Snapper mower would be a Caddy, having, by those standards. I know it's not a BIG Zero turn diesel 48"+ cut mower, but, it sure beats walking behind a 20" Push mower.

JF671

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/11/2019
IMO, Snapper had one of the best "riding mowers" of it's time. Snapper (of the 70s and 80s) had several thing right:
They had great parts interchangeability between models making it less expensive for their servicing dealers to stock parts (Toro of that time seemed to have a different wheel for every friggin push mower they made). They didn't over think or over build them and most common repairs were rather easily done. They were also fairly nimble and quite maneuverable for what they were. The bad, Snapper tried to sell them as a tractor, which they weren't, and they early riders without the soft clutch could be made to do some pretty crazy wheelies.