• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE in your location!

Rebuilding Fairbanks Morse Headless Ignitor

Bob Johnson

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/25/2012
I am in the process of trying to rebuild my Fairbanks headless Igniter. When I took the stationary terminal out there was a insulating plug around it on the inside which was in two pieces apparently broken. I did reinstall both pieces as I had nothing to replace the part with. Is there some material I could make this broken piece from that would be able to withstand the heat? The engine will run with the ignitor as is but after running 10 - 15 minutes it wills stop. It really sounds as though it runs out of gas. The tank is new, and I did clean the check valve thoroughly. I have installed new rings with .0013 end clearance for a 3 1/4" bore. The rings have not seated as yet as when the engine is running I get a certain amount of blue smoke. The valves were ground. Right now I am running on Low tension coil and battery until I can get the magneto timed and some of these other problems cured. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bob Out west on the high Desert

Heller D. Davis

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2006
Bob, you can get the ignitor tubes from several of the sponsers here on Harry's. Lee Pedersen, StarBolt and others. They also have the washers that go with the tube.