• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Reeves are Sweet!

Ray Wangler

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/07/2013
Re: Reeves Are Sweet!

Beth, Gary Y had given the cost of the Reeves at $3450, I was wondering what the cost of the 32 Case was in the same era.

Ray

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013

Hello Ray,
I need to clear up...

In 1907 the Case 32 price was $2600 without jacket or strawburner. I don't have a 1907 Reeves price list. The 1909 price of the 32 Reeves engine was $3000. The 1912 Case 110 price was $3000. The 32 US Reeves was $3000 in 1914. It was the 32 Canadian Special engine that was $3450. The Canadian Special had most all different parts than a US engine... i.e. very few parts were the same.
Gary;)

Last edited:

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019

Hate to see this Reeves thread go skunky so here is a view of the 40 CC. With 28" extensions on there, she would almost be a real pleasure to haul into a quarter section with about 18 or 20 bottoms! 9" and 14 & 3/4" by 15" cylinders - Reeves are indeed SWEET!
G.

Attachments

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013

G Willikers,
There is a little less camera angle here, that really shows off that 56" of driver width in this photo taken over in the Judith Basin, near Coffee Creek, Montana in 1913. The engine belonged to my grandpa Yaeger's friend, Frank Strouf and is shown pulling a saddle tank locomotive to a work site where they were building the new Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific railroad between Lewistown and Great Falls. Frank owned at least two of these 40s, this one being a US 40-120hp. Frank also farmed on a very large scale, as well as having been a Reeves Agent.

His grandson at Great Falls, who allowed me to copy all of his "Strouf steam pictures" told me about his grandfather's steam engines, which may contain some conjecture. I have photos of two 40hp (this one and a 40-140 Canadian Special), a 32hp cc US and a 25hp cc CS Reeves, a 35hp Nichols & Shepard, and a 30 Special or 40hp undermounted Avery (I don't know which pop valve it had on that Illinois Steel keyhole firebox boiler). He couldn't remember whether it was a 60hp or 75hp Case which pulled a huge "homemade" water wagon (1000-1500? gallons) to the other engines when farming. He said they had a gas engine powered pump set up in Wolf Creek and also used smaller standard water wagons to fill in.
Gary;)

Farquhar

Registered

Hate to see this Reeves thread go skunky so here is a view of the 40 CC. With 28" extensions on there, she would almost be a real pleasure to haul into a quarter section with about 18 or 20 bottoms! 9" and 14 & 3/4" by 15" cylinders - Reeves are indeed SWEET!
G.
:rolleyes: Gee, G. I bet it would be nice if you were the one on the controls, but what about the one shovelin coal in that bad boy?
Still, all in all, it would be a sight to see.
Of course I've never seen one, but I would imagine they have a firebox similar to the Z3 Peerless, which has a "healthy appetite".

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013

Farquhar,
The surface dimmensions they'd throw coal on would be identical to the Austin Monk Peerless. The 40 had a taller firebox, due to taller drivers and larger bull gearing on them, than the 32 ds Reeves firebox on that Z-3. I'm not certain without checking my catalogs as to how it would compare to a standard Z-3?
Gary;)

Reeves1665

Registered

Here are some pics of 1665. The first 2 are at Rough and Tumble this year. This is where we pulled 63HP on compound!!! The other 2 engines in the picture is Dave Adams 1895 8X10 Frick and and Butch Bieseckers 22-65 Keck Gonnerman. We are out in the "playground" where the steam shovels built us a rather large hole to go play in for a hill climb..... The Frick is also powering the Keystone Well Driller that is owned by Rough and Tumble, I forget how deep they made it this year....

Josh

Attachments

Reeves1665

Registered

Here are some more pics of 1665 taken at Penns Cave this year. They were taken at night getting ready to hook to the pulling sled.

Josh

Attachments

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018

Josh,

That yellow canopy is almost fluorescent!:eek: :D

Beth

Reeves1665

Registered

Beth -

Come on now........ it matching the striping..........

P.S. - wait till you hear the "new" 6 chime loco whistle I got for her!!!
Josh

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018

Josh,

I'm waiting to hear that new whistle.....I'm still traumatized over your trade!:rant:

I thought you might like the picture of us taking the 16 Reeves around the track at Wauseon. It is framed by Bunyea's 20 Harrison Jumbo & Bonnell's 80 Case (hey CRAIG!! I posted another CASE photo!:D )...hmmm, who is that bearded man....

The next is the 32 with the 80 behind it during the parade at Wauseon. Those 2 engines have spent years next to each other & never got into a fight!:D No wonder the owners have been friends since we were little!:D

Beth

Attachments

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019

Hopefully this shows up clear as it shows the data on the Reeves engines including the big Queen, with firebox data. And yes, I'd be happier up in the loft surveying the sights; but if I had to be down on the deck shovelling coal, that might not be too bad also.
And Gary!!!! That pic of the big 40 hauling the locie is just the finest thing I have ever seen- muchos gracias amigo!!!
G.

Attachments

Mike McKnight

Registered

:rolleyes: Gee, G. I bet it would be nice if you were the one on the controls, but what about the one shovelin coal in that bad boy?
Still, all in all, it would be a sight to see.
Of course I've never seen one, but I would imagine they have a firebox similar to the Z3 Peerless, which has a "healthy appetite".
It's been my experience that the larger the firebox, the easier to fire....takes a little longer to get the fire in there going and spread around, but a lot less work just to maintain with a good roaring blaze in there. I'd a whole lot rather fire that ol' deep 44" lg. firebox from my 22 HP on a hard pull than that little @#@! short 36" firebox on my 13 HP. On wood, that little short firebox will work you to death :rant: !!!!! Big firebox, no problem.....;)

Mike M

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019

It's been my experience that the larger the firebox, the easier to fire....takes a little longer to get the fire in there going and spread around, but a lot less work just to maintain with a good roaring blaze in there. I'd a whole lot rather fire that ol' deep 44" lg. firebox from my 22 HP on a hard pull than that little @#@! short 36" firebox on my 13 HP. On wood, that little short firebox will work you to death :rant: !!!!! Big firebox, no problem.....;)

Mike M
Mike - Have fired a 30 hp Waterloo with wood - firebox is 57x32x45 (l-w-h)!!!! You are right, it takes a long time to get that old gal warmed up, but once up to snuff, it is easy to maintain. Now, pulling 10-12 plows in buffalo grass might be a different story?
G.

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013

G Willikers,
Danke Schoen! Gracias! I'm glad you liked it... I kind of like that picture too, eh. Thanks for posting the specifications of Reeves. Notice it says US design at the top? When that catalog was printed, the Canadian Specials were just about out. When the CS came out, they continued all larger sizes of the engines in either US or CS, but the 40hp... There they dropped the 40 US.

G, I've noticed your bilingual talents on SmokStak and since you got a taste of my bilingual talents above (That is about the extent of it, too!)... One of the kids at school remarked the US is "B" country. Canada is above, eh; and Mexico is below, si. You get it??? Eh, B, Si??? I guess it is a high school thing?
Gary;)

Last edited:

Ray Wangler

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/07/2013

Gary, thanks for the prices, they are closer than I thought. Wouldn’t you love to sit in a board or production meeting in Columbus in 1907 and listen to the logic for the decisions that were made? Thanks again!

Ray

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013

Thanks Ray!
This SmokStak sure is a lot of "work", but I guess you can see that I enjoy it! I hope the young guys don't mind this old f@rt always interjecting my crap along the way? Oh well....

I would have loved to be in on the board meeting. I have photos of that board of directors and company officials, but not here.

I noticed the 32 Reeves Canadian was $3450 in 1914 and that was the year our neighbor Herman Otten bought his new 32cc Canadian Special #7181from his Reeves agent, brother in law, Ben Hollenback. Herman's son Jack told me a couple of years ago his dad paid "A hundred dollars a horsepower", which shows that Hollenback gave his brother in law a good deal, eating the freight and $250 profit. I put a photo of it below and it is courtesy of his son Jack too.
Gary:)

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019

G Willikers,
Danke Schoen! Gracias! I'm glad you liked it... I kind of like that picture too, eh. Thanks for posting the specifications of Reeves. Notice it says US design at the top? When that catalog was printed, the Canadian Specials were just about out. When the CS came out, they continued all larger sizes of the engines in either US or CS, but the 40hp... There they dropped the 40 US.

G, I've noticed your bilingual talents on SmokStak and since you got a taste of my bilingual talents above (That is about the extent of it, too!)... One of the kids at school remarked the US is "B" country. Canada is above, eh; and Mexico is below, si. You get it??? Eh, B, Si??? I guess it is a high school thing?
Gary;)
Gary - the catalogue I have is undated but was put out by E-B.
eh, b, si ! Yes, I gets it. Merci mon ami, thanks pal, gracias amigo, danke mein freund!
Shalom and Salaam. May your camels be fat and fertile.
G.

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013

G Willikers,
I have a copy of that catalog too. Reeves had Canadian Special engines out in 1910. E-B didn't buy Reeves until Jan 1912, so there was some hesitation in updating catalogs. i.e., The 40 should have been listed in the later Canadian Special section only... That is unless they still had a few of the old US models they wanted to get rid of, before offering the new butt strap models? I think the first 40 Reeves was #5143 and the last catalog E-B put out showing the 40 still showed that engine in their literature.
Gary;)