• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Reeves are Sweet!

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Re: Reeves are sweet!

Thanks for that list. That puts ours a year older than we thought. Haston's book had it as a 06, but your list puts it well into 05.

Daniel Craig

Registered

Well inspection went great Got 130 psi the old Reeves still has a few years in her. Glad NC has the historical boiler program the inspectors really work with us anyway they can they make it safe and still use common sense.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019

I was just reading thru this thread again as it is raining enough to stay inside today. There is so much neat and beautiful stuff and memories in here. The one post that really brings back my early youth growing up on the farm in the 50s and 60s. Post 151 by our dear Mr. Yeager! We had a mixed livestock and orchard operation and had the old Farmall's that we cut hay and farmed with, it really stirred up those memories. I still put up hay with those old tractors, not the same ones but identical ones I hunted up in recent times, I love it! Thanks again for sharing it Gary. FJW

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013

Beth and TractorDom,
While that owner's manual would be of a lot of help if you were quite new to steam engines, it'd be a great help then.

However, that back page with the valve setting guide is likely handier for those already running them? It sure simplifies the process. Thank you for all of the scans you've been posting in PDF, TractorDom!:D
Gary:brows:

Mark Schneider

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2018

Came across this postcard of a Reeves steamer in a vintage plowing scene. I found the rear water tank mounting on this one to be quite interesting. I've never seen this arrangement before.

Attachments

Caleb Carpenter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2016

Reeves mounted those tanks commonly like that on the steam lift plows. Tank is about half the size of the water wagon or large crossways tractor mounted tanks.
I've been collecting pieces for my 8 bottom reeves steam lift plow. I acquired a set Reeves tank ends for a wagon or plow to build a tank such as this one on your postcard.

Larry G.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

Hello,
To all of you who have an affiance to Reeves engines;what's the scoop on the Reeves engine that is listed on the Gantvoort auction? Nixon auctioneers state it's a 16HP. You can see it's a double simple. The hand holes are open on the bottom of the boiler. The serial # given is 2203. That seems a little low for this style of Reeves. I thought early Reeves engines had boot style stacks. What do you think? Any history on it? Looks to be complete. Thanks.

Larry G.

Last edited:
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013

Larry G.,
Reeves #2203 is listed in Haston's book as a 16 hp and there is one other Reeves ahead of it, #1785, that also has the new cast iron venturi smokestack. I'd bet that somewhere between Reckelberg's #1698, with a boot top iron stack, and #1785, is where that upgrade took place? These earlier 16's were single geared and didn't have side water tanks, but still carried one between the driver and firebox/wagon top sides, on the right side, below the flywheel. After they went to double geared engines, they placed side tanks on the 16's. Gary:shrug:

Larry G.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

Gary,
I have Reeves & Co. catalog No.29. This catalog has the scantly clad lady on top of a dragon inside a Reeves drive wheel. Quite revealing for a 1903 threshing machinery catalog! Sorry, I can't post it my scanner is cooked. You may have it. Anyway, the catalog has illustrations of both types of Reeves engines. Especially the 13HP engines. They have the boot style stacks and water tanks mounted horizontal along the firebox grate line. They state that the water tank is cylindrical and is located conveniently for filling or getting at and yet out of the way. I wonder how many of these tanks had holes punched in them from rocks because they hug the road.

Larry G. :wave:

rleonard

Registered

I engineered a two cylinder Reeves for many years at a local farm show. I believe that it was a simple twin, not compound. Did some plowing too. Lots of work!

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013

Gary,
I have Reeves & Co. catalog No.29. This catalog has the scantly clad lady on top of a dragon inside a Reeves drive wheel. Quite revealing for a 1903 threshing machinery catalog! Sorry, I can't post it my scanner is cooked. You may have it. Anyway, the catalog has illustrations of both types of Reeves engines. Especially the 13HP engines. They have the boot style stacks and water tanks mounted horizontal along the firebox grate line. They state that the water tank is cylindrical and is located conveniently for filling or getting at and yet out of the way. I wonder how many of these tanks had holes punched in them from rocks because they hug the road.

Larry G. :wave:
Larry, I've not seen the catalog with the lady on top of a dragon, inside a Reeves drive wheel. I have a boot top smokestack catalog, but they're at the shop, so I can't recite the number. The single gear engines had that water tank down below the differential, in that space, and like you said, at the grate line. I don't know how satisfactory that was? Rumely had their tanks there around 1900 as well. I've ran David Vanek Jr's 15 hp Rumely with its water tank down there. Gary;)

Mike Harmeling

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Here are some factory photos. Not being a Reeves, or for that matter a steam expert I'll leave it to the network to identify them.

scan.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan (1).jpg

scan (2).jpg

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013

WoW is All I can say Mike, those photos are so clear. Thanks.
Clyde, You took the words right out of my mouth! Those are phenomenal photos.

I'd be curious where you came by them Mike? Have they been in your family or did you discover them elsewhere? There are a sparse few out there, but most of them seem to be lost. Thank you so much for blessing us with these photos, Mike! Gary:brows: