• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Reeves are Sweet!

oldtractors

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2015
What are the boiler dimensions of the various models? 13, 16, 20 HP? Curious on how it compares to other makes.

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
This thread has gone to quite a number of posts and pages so I don't know if this picture has been posted before. I came across it a couple of days back in my files. Probably worth posting again anyway.
There is no information with it but it could be in western Canada.
Gary talked about the steering on the big gals many posts back in this thread. I'll post an inset of the steering set-up. Quite interesting.

Attachments

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
Mr. Halcon,
I started this thread back in September of 2006. It has had lots of time to simmer! I don't have any hands-on experience with the brand but do remember a very nice double simple at the Milton SteamEra show when I started going years ago. I can still hear it digging in on the saw mill and it sounded wonderful!:O

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Being around the various makes from all over for most of my life, I've learned to appreciate the mechanical genius of the various designs. I've always felt that while some concentrated on price, others went for high quality as a main requirement. I think that the Reeves were a superior drawbar work machine, the gearing was by far their best feature. Too bad that more of those big ones didn't survive the scrap drives. I hope to someday get to visit the one that remains.

Larry G.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Does anyone know anything about the Reeves on Aumann's Pre'30 auction?
There is a photo of one in the picture gallery but not on the sale listing that I can find. Looks like the front flue sheet has been cut out and no smokestack. A nice Russell on there too. Thanks.

Larry G. ;)

Kelly Barnett

Registered
Larry,

I haven't seen the Reeves you mentioned on Aumann's site yet. But the Russell engine is from the old Waukee, Iowa show grounds as well as the Aultman Taylor tractor by what I have been told.

Larry G.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Let's try this picture. This picture was taken on Sept. 1914,near Paxico,Kansas. That is the only writing on the postcard picture. I found this postcard in my late father's collection. Grandma Susanna Gaertner, my father's Mom, grew up near Paxico during this era. The guy in the photo could be a relative. So I do believe there was a Reeves that was owned by my distant family years ago. Wow! Smile!

Larry G.

Attachments

Last edited:
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Gary will correct me if I'm wrong but I think it is one of the earlier big girls 40-120. G. Willikers do you suppose the number of posts correlates to the quality of the machinery. Or does it just seem that way. :D
Clyde, I'm so sorry I was sleeping at the switch. Hopefully the train didn't go off of the track. This 40-140 is a late one, Clyde, with a Titusville Iron Works boiler 1/2" butt strap boiler. They also had a special order 5/8" outer wrapper boiler at this time. The only later configuration than this one is the Smolik's 40-140 #6867 with the "goose neck steam line." The reason for that steam line was because a nipple broke on a main steam line on one of the engines somewhere, sometime, and this was the fix for heat expansion in that case. Smolik's 1912 engine is the ONLY 40 I've ever seen with that line. There may have been others later, but I've not seen photos of any.

The second photo shows the early 40-120 hp with the Brownell, lap-seam US boiler. The main steam valve and steam line, plus pop valves, were just larger examples of the other US engines.

The last photo is the intermediate steam line. This 40-140 has the Broderick Brother's steam line and used their 7/16" outer wrapper butt-strap boiler. Gary:brows:

Attachments

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
With the Reeves feature at NTA next month, anything new?
Is that show still on? Most around here have canceled so far. Got a flyer today for our group and it also had a note that it was only tentative as the state is still on lock down for a good while yet.

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
The Canada-USA border will now be closed to non-essential crossings until, at least, June 21. Who knows what will happen after that? Life is too complicated right now for me anyway, so better stay home. Too bad, because I have many good friends at the show, and it is always a nice time to catch up. Hate to miss that Amish ice cream too!
Looks like a very quiet summer coming. Might get some work done at home!
If the show goes on, best wishes to all for a good time and a successful show.