• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Reid 12hp - My new project

Alco112

Registered
Here is my new Reid project. I didn't know much about these engines before getting it, but have enjoyed reading up on the forums about this engine. I have always wanted a nice size engine and this looks like it will be a fun project.

Still going through the pile of parts that were with it. Looks like most of the parts are here with a few exceptions. Lots of repairs needed... Cracks and bent main rod at the crank mount end. some of the valve body flanges are missing corners etc. Nothing too bad. Looks like somebody grabbed the builders plaque off of the base recently just before the auction based on the recently expost paint/rust. Can't read the serial stamped on the cyl boss. hopefully I can find one on the crank or other common locations.

The water jacket at the cyl end is the worst. Looks like it was sitting upside down in the mud or creek for years. The end is pretty thin and has has some braze where somebody attempted to start repairs. That is the only place that has any deep erosion. Looking closer it looks like there might have been an end cover instead of just the small washout covers? searching for similar photos to verify.

Starting the 1st electrolysis bucket tonight on the charging piston. Many more buckets to follow..

20191005_084558.png 20191005_194432.png

20191005_190132-1.png 20191005_190120-1.png

20191005_193412.png

Last edited:

Kirk Taylor

Registered
Here is my new Reid project.
The water jacket at the cyl end is the worst. Looks like it was sitting upside down in the mud or creek for years. The end is pretty thin and has has some braze where somebody attempted to start repairs. That is the only place that has any deep erosion. Looking closer it looks like there might have been an end cover instead of just the small washout covers? searching for similar photos to verify.
The 12hp Reid engines used the small oval hand hole covers on the end of the cylinder. Much of the erosion is likely from the hot tube burner. The chimney was either burned out in the back or totally missing allowing the burner flame to hit the cylinder casting. The constant blasting from the open gas flame is very erosive. A lot of engines saw many decades of hard service. Proper care and maintenance was often lacking especially as oil production fell and people did only what they needed to do to get by.
You'll have a nice engine when it's done.

OrgWayne

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/22/2017
Alco , did U get that at Shurmans Iron Ranch ? maybe not spelled right , U might get some more info from Antique Powerland in Brooks Or, I have seen a few there during the Steam Show:)
Wayne :salute:

Alco112

Registered
Hi,

Yes this came from Schurman's auction. Nice to know there are some local at Brooks. I havent been down there for years. Usually have a conflicting event that week of the show.

It makes sense that the hot tube could have caused the jacket erosion.

It is for sure a 12hp based on the flywheel diameter. Still havent located a serial number yet to determine the year yet.

Thanks!

Alco112

Registered
20191006_152601_320x.jpg

Rust slowly bubbling off. 1st signs of clean metal starting to appear after 24 hours :)

20191007_214924_320x.jpg

Progress after 48 hours

Last edited:

Alco112

Registered
Both main bearing caps and the connecting rod end bearing assembly are missing.

I think I have all the valve assemblies, except the pressure relief valve for the charge cyl.

Governor is missing, but I will be able run unloaded easy enough without it.

Alco112

Registered
Going through the bucket of parts to see what all I'm missing. Looks like I have one homemade fabricated crank bearing cap.

IMG_12102019_164832_(320_x_676_pixel).jpg

Missing a few of the bearing brasses so will have a few fun things to machine up.

Trying to figure out why the main piston has a hole in the top end. There is a piece of steel rod sticking out with a flared end inside so the rod is captured between the piston top and the wrist pin. Not sure what they were up to...

IMG_12102019_163424_(320_x_675_pixel).jpg

Kirk Taylor

Registered
Trying to figure out why the main piston has a hole in the top end. There is a piece of steel rod sticking out with a flared end inside so the rod is captured between the piston top and the wrist pin. Not sure what they were up to...

View attachment 346427
Perhaps that's how they drove out a stuck piston. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but people do what they need to do.

Alco112

Registered
That makes sense, since there is no head to remove for access. Only the small hole for the hot tube. They must have drilled the hole so they wouldn't risk cracking the piston with the small area of the shaft.

Must have been stuck pretty good based on how the end of the shaft inside the piston is flared out...

W.P.Klein

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/19/2020
Or at some point the piston was pushed in too far and the 1st ring popped open past the bore into the slightly larger combustion area. They then drove the piston back to break the ring. Be careful going back together so this doesn't happen to you. There are better ways to overcome that problem as well.
Bill Klein