• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Reid 15 hp followed me home

IronworkerFXR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/06/2020
It no fit ..... I will not quit ,, but whats wrong with this setup, sort of bummed but do I grind it ?

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Nobody answered the question so I ground the clamp .
Looks good John. Not trying to be picky, but the chimney look tilted to the right a little bit. Could be remedied by grinding the left ear on the clamp a bit more. But pay no attention to me. I am anal about things like that. When I was working all the guys used to tease me because all of the slots on flat head screws all had to be in the same position. Dying to get back to work on my Reid, but allot of "honey do" projects have gotten in the way. And yesterday my little granddaughter next door came over to the house with a broken ride on toy. She said "Can you fix this for me grandpa?" How can I say no to that little face. Be safe John !!

IronworkerFXR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/06/2020
Looks good John. Not trying to be picky, but the chimney look tilted to the right a little bit. Could be remedied by grinding the left ear on the clamp a bit more. But pay no attention to me. I am anal about things like that. When I was working all the guys used to tease me because all of the slots on flat head screws all had to be in the same position. Dying to get back to work on my Reid, but allot of "honey do" projects have gotten in the way. And yesterday my little granddaughter next door came over to the house with a broken ride on toy. She said "Can you fix this for me grandpa?" How can I say no to that little face. Be safe John !!
Peter, I know, but its the hot tube mount that is not perpendicular to the engine, and I am not messing with that ... I tried grinding a little off the bottom of the chimney. going to chalk it up to engine character.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Peter, I know, but its the hot tube mount that is not perpendicular to the engine, and I am not messing with that ... I tried grinding a little off the bottom of the chimney. going to chalk it up to engine character.
I see that now that you mention it. No way in hell you would move that fitting without ruining it.

IronworkerFXR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/06/2020
Well , Thing we are getting there , Score Reid 1 ,tired out my arms no need for gym tonight, But .... had it finally running for about 30 seconds .. cheated and put air to cylinder . had hot tube issues , tightened the orifice size up and that was a big help , going to double wrap the inside of chimney with woven fiberglass . I have one wrap in it now .
question for you seasoned experts is this tube hot enough ?... second pic is hotter . it was exhaust backfiring and seemed to be lacking power .

Attachments

Bill Hazzard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/28/2008
The tube looks hot enough. What gas pressure are you running to the engine? The lower the pressure the easier to get running. It is very easy to flood with propane. I like the pressure to be less than 2" water. To test, stick a hose into a bucket of water and go deeper until the gas stops flowing and that will be the pressure.

IronworkerFXR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/06/2020
The tube looks hot enough. What gas pressure are you running to the engine? The lower the pressure the easier to get running. It is very easy to flood with propane. I like the pressure to be less than 2" water. To test, stick a hose into a bucket of water and go deeper until the gas stops flowing and that will be the pressure.
Bill thank you for your input , I do have a water column gauge , I'll make an adapter ,

IronworkerFXR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/06/2020
Yes, the spring is just setting tension , I planed on a wing nut welded to the bolt head to adjust the mixture, IF it will stop raining for a day and get a little warmer out, I will give it another try , are you running an accumulator ?.

Last edited:

StrikeForce

Registered
Yes, the spring is just setting tension , I planed on a wing welded to the bolt head to adjust the mixture, IF it will stop raining for a day and get a little warmer out, I will give it another try , are you running an accumulator ?.
No accumulator but I had been running 2 lines from the tank. I re-plumbed this fall but have yet to run it. My mixer valves were none existual so all manual settings. I did just get a mixer I want to make more correct than what I currently have.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IronworkerFXR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/06/2020

when I try and cut back on the fuel it goes lean and backfires , I also cut back on the air .. and then it gets real unhappy and backfires through the charge cylinder releaf valve ," and that is loud" . its flowing 5 -10 inches of water, but that only shows when you cut the dimond valve back just a little.
I tried lowering hot tube heat, " no go there" and its running at about 195 degrees ,

It wants to fire on the proper direction stroke but that bumps it backwards for two revolutions, when I try to bumb it backwards theres not enough power to completer the revolution, so luckly I have 3/4 airline , or it be a no start . any thoughts ?.

StrikeForce

Registered

when I try and cut back on the fuel it goes lean and backfires , I also cut back on the air .. and then it gets real unhappy and backfires through the charge cylinder releaf valve ," and that is loud" . its flowing 5 -10 inches of water, but that only shows when you cut the dimond valve back just a little.
I tried lowering hot tube heat, " no go there" and its running at about 195 degrees ,

It wants to fire on the proper direction stroke but that bumps it backwards for two revolutions, when I try to bumb it backwards theres not enough power to completer the revolution, so luckly I have 3/4 airline , or it be a no start . any thoughts ?.
My Reid ran that fast once and given I am on rubber wheels, I ran faster than that to the fuel shut off valve! (I also needed a change of shorts). I found with a standard diamond valve, I had no control at all. A tiny bump and it was off to the races. I replaced mine with a Parker hydraulic valve and I have really fine adjustment. I also have the gate valve on the air intake so I have the air really restricted (my mixer valves don't move right now). Too much open on the fuel valve and its off to the races. The valve made all the difference in my speed control.

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/22/2020
If you turn down the gas and it back fires, try closing the air down also. Once mine gets warm I turn everything down; pressure, volume and ignition.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Keep at it John !!! You'll figure it out. I don't see any oilers on the main and charging cylinders. I hope you are doping it with oil before you run it. You are way ahead of me on your Reid. I'm not even close to try starting it.