• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Reid 20hp Fuel Slide Valve

MrBillGrz

Registered
I purchased a Reid 20hp engine from a estate sale,
I am in the process of trying to get it running but can’t get the air and fuel
Mixture correct, the air valve was in the control body but there was no fuel valve in it, I made a fuel valve for it but don’t know

what size holes should be in it, and

how much clearance should there be been the valve and the body,

I had it made with 5 thousands clearance but I now know that it’s way to much,
The motor is flooding out at normal rpms no mater the adjustment,

I am using a Impco regulator which seems to be working well

I am hoping to get it running to be able to take it to
Symco Thresheree next week in WI

Attachments

Bill Hazzard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/28/2008
Re: Reid 20hp fuel slide valve

What gas pressure are you running? You also need a graduated gas cock in the line to regulate the mixture. The gas throttle valve worked under a load on natural gas but is not sensitive enough on propane and no load.

MrBillGrz

Registered
Re: Reid 20hp fuel slide valve

I am using a vacuum draw regulator, and I do have a ball valve in front of the slide valve but it is not sensitive enough at low speed

Bill Hazzard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/28/2008
Don't worry about the piston valve, just get a graduated gas cock and you will be able to dial in the mixture, a ball valve won't work.

Tom Geier

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2017
Don’t worry about that valve. You need a diamond valve or a needle valve on the gas and a gate valve on the air. Hot tube gas pressure is >1 psi. Engine gas pressure is 11 inches of water column. You might need a accumulator on Engine gas line.

MrBillGrz

Registered
For such a big volume cylinder it sure is picky,
Having never seen one before, my learning curve is a little steep :)

I put a 1/2 inch valve in front of the slide valve which helps,
I also tightened up the spring for the check valve to the main cylinder which helped with the back firing ( the valve was fluttering)
And I changed the timing by putting a shorter hot tube in ( down to a 5” now )

I can now run it at about 100 rpm it doesn’t purr like a kitten but not horrible,
It fires about 5 times then pops/misses then cleans it self out then fires more, kinda like a hit n miss
I understand that there is no load so not going to be perfect but seems to be videos of them that don’t miss

Bill Hazzard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/28/2008
What happens is that when the engine fires a few times it speeds up and when it speeds up it gets lean. When it gets lean the charge burns so slowly in the cylinder that there is still flame burning in the cylinder when the charging cylinder pushes more air and fuel into the working cylinder which is lit off and you get a cross fire. With no load on propane it is hard to get the engine to run smooth. A slightly rich mixture helps by being too rich that you get less power so less chance of getting lean. Also the engine will run differently if the air temperature changes, the barometric pressure changes, the humidity changes and if you walk away.

Bill Hazzard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/28/2008
Looks like it runs pretty good, just like most do. That is a pretty odd horizontal hot tube on there.

MrBillGrz

Registered
When I got the engine it wasn’t complete
The hot tube is home made,( something else I never seen before ether)
during the trials of getting it to run that’s how it worked the best, I would like to point it up, now that the air/fuel is more or less dialed in I can play with it, the shroud is just laying on it so when it pops the shroud falls to the side

Thank you for the help

P.S there are more photos of it in my photo gallery in my Facebook

StrikeForce

Registered
For such a big volume cylinder it sure is picky,
Having never seen one before, my learning curve is a little steep :)

I can now run it at about 100 rpm it doesn’t purr like a kitten but not horrible,
It fires about 5 times then pops/misses then cleans it self out then fires more, kinda like a hit n miss
I'm right there with you. This is the best mine has ever run and then of course the next day it was all over the place in speed. I am not an expert in dialing it in yet but I have gotten better at trying to start it!

https://youtu.be/oWaJ72Wo0fk

As Tom has mentioned, a little gas goes a long way with these engines. My valves are stuck so I am adding a better needle valve in hopes I can get a little better control on the fuel supply.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Thanks for sharing guys! Nice to see some Reids running. The Oil Field section of the site has been a little slow lately.