• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Reid 40 HP type DC compressor engine

Ray Ethridge

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/31/2013
Tom,
They have one at the Temple show in Texas. It has run every year I have been there except last year (air line problem I heard) so someone there knows how to run it. I will see if I can find out who might know about it.
Ray Ethridge

Attachments

Bob Stadler

Registered
Need info on a 40hp Reid Type DC compressor engine. Any help greatly appreciated.
Tom in VA
Interesting photo I have seen these engines laying around some oil fields in western Pa. years ago. I had purchased and now in the process of restoring to sell a 12 1/2 by 16" Reid that looks very much like your engine. The data I gathered years ago on this engine that it is a 95 hp at 550 rpm but this was from the modification done by the oil field owner making it a 13 1/4 x 16, he said thatthey were made to be interchangable. Just change the cylinder/water jacket and head. My lubricater is slightly different along with the air shut off system that comes directly from the "distributor" (the mechanical device that derives its power from a shaft that comes the crank), also my magneto is different. I am somewhat at a loss on how the pressure/temperature cutoff switch works if in fact that is what it is. I will try to attach photos. By the way nice flywheel paint job.

Bob

Attachments

D

DanR

Watch out Tom. That short stack is going to blow the roof off your shed. ;)

Short Cut

Registered
The Temple show...You need to talk to Monk Ivicheck (sp?). He does not own the engine but knows all about it. He knows and owns more old iron that most of us have dreamed about.

Bob Stadler

Registered
Slack movement in the distributor gear if also in the shaft could be from improperly adjusted bolt behind the crank. See photo. Note do not over tighten.

Bob

Attachments