• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Removing Spray Paint

ronny p 148

Registered
I want to soak or spray something that will remove the paint that someone applied to this galvanized oil can . without staining the original galvanize. We've all got something on painted surface and it lifted the paint and we didn't want that. What can I use and then just wash it off ?

Ronny

beezerbill

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
Re: removeing spray paint

I would not use anything caustic. This includes any of the lye-type cleaners including Zep Purple. I think oven cleaner might also be caustic and will attack the galvanize. Also, don't use muriatic acid. Even strong laundry detergent (which sometimes lifts poorly-applied paint) might stain the galvanize.

Try simple solvents first, like acetone or even paint thinner. Soaking it in kerosene or diesel fuel for a week or so might cause the paint to come off if it was just sprayed on without much prep. Fortunately paint doesn't stick too well to galvanize so it might come off fairly easily.

b7100

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I have derusted parts electrostatically. Some had paint on them. The paint just kind of fell off. I don't know what it would do with galvanized metal but maybe it would be worth experinenting with. Maybe with some galvanized nails. It works pretty well on rust. Leaves a black coat that is easily removed with a wire brush.

ronny p 148

Registered
AKUNA That's it I remember getting something on a painted spanner wrench at fire dept. bubbled paint up will wipe some on . paid ten bucks for it tried to get it for 5 but I liked it have a few other. including my dads that's as old as me .

Ronny

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
You might try gasoline as a paint remover! Sure takes the new krylon and Rustoleum right off in a hurry!

Toesmack

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2019
Brake fluid works pretty well, but don't know how it will affect the galvanize.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
At some point in time I remember having a can of Gojo or similar hand cleaner that was for removing paint from your hands. If you could find something like that,it should be safe for that galvanize.

K-Tron

Registered
If you have a blast cabinet you can likely regulate your air pressure down to about 40psi and use fine mesh glass bead to remove the paint without disturbing the galvanized coating. You can alternatively use gasoline, or rubbing alcohol, both work well removing spray paint. You can also submerge it in an ultrasonic solution of simple green and distilled water and it will remove all of the spray paint. Probably thirty to fourty minutes will have all of the paint removed without the need to scrub or use abrasives.

Chris

ronny p 148

Registered
Andrew at $2.45.9 a gallon here and rising not going to ruin a gallon of gas to soak that ten dollar can . :eek: DMD oil companies !

Ronny

slip knot

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2019
I can say the Everclear will take lacquer off. I will not divulge how I came by this knowledge.:D

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Try citri-strip. Test on bottom of can. From what I've seen it removes just about anything but hard enamal.
Doc

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol should get the job done. They seem to ruin the finish on anything I have ever spilled them on.

PaulGray

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/24/2019
Second on the Citri-Strip...great stuff. Unused portion doesn't go bad either.