Republic Truck

russ d junk

Old Branham's Automotive books generally have serial numbers by year. They also have pictures of the serial number location on the truck. You can find these on the internet if you look around. I would guess the truck your friend has was built in the late teens. If by chance it had a Buda engine, it would be pre-1919. Internal gear rear axles were used into the twenties. Keep us posted. Steve

Dan Anderson

Subscriber
Old Branham's Automotive books generally have serial numbers by year. They also have pictures of the serial number location on the truck. You can find these on the internet if you look around. I would guess the truck your friend has was built in the late teens. If by chance it had a Buda engine, it would be pre-1919. Internal gear rear axles were used into the twenties. Keep us posted. Steve
Thank you, yes, it has a Buda. Will look around for those books.

Bud Tierney

I haven't had much luck with online Branhams; therte's several in Googlebooks but only one or two are full view...
If none turn up that're helpful try the annual specs in The Motor Truck, Comm'l Car Journal and the Comm'l vehicle; believe all full view on hathitrust..don't think they list serial #s but do show WB etc...
Tad's truck spotters guide does indicate your fenders18-20, and the Buda's show 1916-21 in my old catalogs...HU, QU,T, TU and YTU are shown...

Bud Tierney

Once you've ID'd the year and model, for pix you might try SuperJeff---Jeff L, who runs the "What Am I??" truck ID guessing forum on justoldtrucks...
Jeff has an extensive, if not monumental, collection of old truck books, pix etc, and may have something helpful...

Dan Anderson

Subscriber
Once you've ID'd the year and model, for pix you might try SuperJeff---Jeff L, who runs the "What Am I??" truck ID guessing forum on justoldtrucks...
Jeff has an extensive, if not monumental, collection of old truck books, pix etc, and may have something helpful...
Great! will do that! Thank you again!:)

Dan Anderson

Subscriber
Back looking for info on the Republic for my friend, he is into the Fuller Multi Disc Transmission, he doesn't know how to disassemble and wondered if there are any service manuals available he could purchase. I have looked and have not been successful.

He also wondered how much oil the engine holds. Would love some specs there too. Progress wise, he has the engine out and having it resleeved. So there is progress.

Dan Anderson

Subscriber
Dan,

After doing some looking I finally found my pictures of my Fuller Transmission when we overhauled it. We had to make a thrust bearing and some cork seals for the shafts.

Troy, your information and pictures will be quite valuable to him. Did you happen too disassemble the clutch? He has questions on how to take it apart
Thank you Troy, so much
Dan

Oldtech

Subscriber
Not experienced on Republic but Buick multiple disc clutches look similar. I think it is on a splined shaft and should just pull off. Should being the word here. You will have to pull that pilot bearing off the front first. Once off the splines there will be a few nuts around the cover plate and it will come loose. DO THIS IN A PRESS OR YOUR DRILL PRESS or something as there will be a large coil spring inside. Once the cover plate and spring are out it comes apart plate by plate.

Dan Anderson

Subscriber
Not experienced on Republic but Buick multiple disc clutches look similar. I think it is on a splined shaft and should just pull off. Should being the word here. once off the splines there will be a few nuts around the edge and the rear plate will come loose. DO THIS IN A PRESS OR YOUR DRILL PRESS or something as there will be a large coil spring inside. Once the cover plate and spring are out it comes apart plate by plate.
Thank you Sir.

Rick Gilder

I found 2 of the photos of the truck, but it says Federal, not Republic. But when I compare the photos the suspension looks the same. Are we talking about the same truck? I have 1 more photo I am trying to find of that truck, but I haven't found it yet in my ancestor's archives. Do you still want to my photos?

Dan Anderson

Subscriber
I found 2 of the photos of the truck, but it says Federal, not Republic. But when I compare the photos the suspension looks the same. Are we talking about the same truck? I have 1 more photo I am trying to find of that truck, but I haven't found it yet in my ancestor's archives. Do you still want to my photos?
Yes would love them Rick, it seems with this old truck any information is a blessing! Thank you!

---------- Post added at 03:26:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19:01 PM ----------

Dan,

We didn't disassemble the clutch because it looked to be good shape and not stuck. I am glad that I could help out, can't wait to see it running and driving! I have also attached some more pictures from disassembly.
Troy thanks for the additional pictures, everything helps here. Yes I will post a vid when he gets it running!
Dan