• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Rescuing an Ajax oil field engine

Justin.D.Hoeppner

Registered
So I have a few Questions regarding this Ajax Engine. I guess to start my names Justin Höeppner I’m 22 I’m originally from the Newhaven Indiana area. I’ve gone to tractor shows my whole life and was raised on our family farm in Newhaven.
Currently I’ve been working towards saving and restoring Steam and gas engines as well as tractors with my Grandfather I’m trying to learn all I can do Can keep what I grew up on around a little longer.
I can’t find any manuals or anything on this particular engine I have can you tell me what you know on it. I know I can easily do this restoration if just like to know all I can. The goals to make this Engine like new again.
Things I still need to know. Value as is and value restored. What the original factory paint scheme is on her. Where can I find info pertaining to this engine such as manuals. And any other info or stories you have.
Note this engine will never be for sale.

Attachments

Reed Engine

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
WL 5 x 6 1/2 what do you want to know? FYI I have a NOS piston for one.

Value? The rod bearing for one is like $600.00 so... I've sent them to the junk yard before. Have some partials in the back yard to part out. Running? Depends on the buyer. All I've ever seen were grey from the factory. And they are a wet sleeve.

Last edited:

Allan Wright

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/10/2019
Ajax was the Cadillac of oilfield engines at one time. They would run for years and years before needing to be overhauled. This was the smallest one that I know of that they made and it’s about a 15hp engine. Good luck with your restoration.
Mr. Reed I hate to hear that a rod bearing costs $600. I have a WL too that is stuck and was thinking about trying to see if I could get it running again.

Justin.D.Hoeppner

Registered
Ajax was the Cadillac of oilfield engines at one time. They would run for years and years before needing to be overhauled. This was the smallest one that I know of that they made and it’s about a 15hp engine. Good luck with your restoration.
Mr. Reed I hate to hear that a rod bearing costs $600. I have a WL too that is stuck and was thinking about trying to see if I could get it running again.
Thanks I’m looking forward this restoration we started and so far it’s going well.

Reed Engine

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Allen, you know me. Even though that's the list price I do often have other sources or solutions.

stillstandin

Registered
So I have a few Questions regarding this Ajax Engine. I guess to start my names Justin Höeppner I’m 22 I’m originally from the Newhaven Indiana area. I’ve gone to tractor shows my whole life and was raised on our family farm in Newhaven.
Currently I’ve been working towards saving and restoring Steam and gas engines as well as tractors with my Grandfather I’m trying to learn all I can do Can keep what I grew up on around a little longer.
I can’t find any manuals or anything on this particular engine I have can you tell me what you know on it. I know I can easily do this restoration if just like to know all I can. The goals to make this Engine like new again.
Things I still need to know. Value as is and value restored. What the original factory paint scheme is on her. Where can I find info pertaining to this engine such as manuals. And any other info or stories you have.
Note this engine will never be for sale.

stillstandin

Registered
I'm redoing an E-42 Ajax. Contact ARROW ENGINE COMPANY in Oklahoma @ 1-800 331-3662 or TIMCO Service & Supply in Oklahoma City @405-602-6927. They wont sell direct but can direct you to a dealer that will. It will help if you have a model number or the piston diameter and length'