• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Restoration of 1918 Stewart Truck

Troy Vetsch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/30/2019
Well I have been side tracked this summer with other tractors that I have bought, which included a McCormick Deering 15-30 on steel. Which I got runnung, driving and put away for winter. Then since I moved the tractor to its storage place for the winter, we moved the Stewart into its place and now I can get back to working on that this winter. I worked hard early this summer and got the Stewart assembled as a work in a progress for the Root River Pioneer Show near my hometown this past summer. They were featuring antique trucks this year. Another picture is of the brake linkage castings that I had re-cast and then I machined them for the truck.

Attachments

Roger Byrne

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
I'm adding this to Troy's thread as an example of a "do as I say, not as I do" :eek: scenario that proves what I've said for years about hard rubber tires on antique trucks.
I got my 1920 Shovel Nose International running on a late Saturday afternoon last fall after rebuilding the engine. I had it running for about half an hour and got most of the bugs out of the engine so then I figured I'd drive it around a bit. My wife and I made it around our small town once and figured things were going good so decided to make another round, then . . OH crap!!. I turned a corner and felt the front end drop. The rim came off the wheel and I was on the wood fellow. Luckily I didn't break any spokes but it took over an hour of working in the street to get the rim/tire back on the wheel with jacking and C-clamps. I put a couple of straps on it and at least I got it back in the garage before dark. I did check the front wheels in morning when I had it jacked up and they seemed tight but you never really know how much the old wood may have shrunk. I'm not happy with what happened (and a little embarrassed) but the plan was to do the Kwik-Poly thing and the bolts like what was done on Troy's Stewart truck anyway.
http://www.smokstak....30&postcount=22
http://www.smokstak....42&postcount=54
Of course it's a "been there and done that" (several times!) for me after working on Lloyd's trucks all those years for the Lloyd Van Horn Truck Museum in Mason City, Iowa. You never know about these old wood wheels and hard rubber tires (as I've told restorers many times) and if you're going to drive these early trucks, be ready to take the time to stabilize and secure the wheels . . . even if they look good.

Attachments

Last edited:

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Troy's last post on this thread was in 2015! I too wonder what has ben done in the last year! Anyone heard from Troy?

Troy Vetsch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/30/2019
Everyone,

Since my last post on here in 2015 a lot of things have changed and I have gotten a lot busier, so I haven't been able to work on my Stewart Truck as much as I'd like. Although every once in awhile I work on a small part for it, such the crank for the Weaver crane that will be put on it or finishing all the brake linkages on the truck. In 2015 I graduated college and ended up getting a boiler job with a rotating shift, so getting used to that took a lot out of me. I also bought a McCormick Deering 15-30 tractor and I restored that so I could use it and play with it. Then I also I bought a McCormick Deering 10-20 that I am currently working on right now. After that is done, Ill be getting back to work on the Stewart.

Troy

Attachments

marathon man

Registered
Hey Troy .what kind and model zenith carburetor is on your continental red label truck motor .Am looking for one for my 1919 truck continental. photo and model would be great . thanks

Troy Vetsch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/30/2019
I have been busy working on assembly of the Continental Engine for the Stewart Truck! About a month ago or so I picked up a spare engine just a few years older to have as spare parts, since they do not come up for sale very often. Attached are some pictures of the engine assembled and painted, currently I am working on painting the transmission. I also found a Stewart Motor Trucks cuff link and was able to acquire it!

Attachments

Tony Thompson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/18/2019
Thanks for posting Troy, I like to see what you are up to.
Also noticed you have been busy buying numerous old pieces. Are you putting a collection together?
Tony

Troy Vetsch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/30/2019
Thanks for posting Troy, I like to see what you are up to.
Also noticed you have been busy buying numerous old pieces. Are you putting a collection together?
Tony
Tony,

I am not sure if I am trying to put a collection together, but I have gotten a few more projects over the past year to enjoy! :O

Troy

Troy Vetsch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/30/2019
I finished most of the engine and transmission assembly and painting, then I decided to fit it into the truck frame! Fitting into the frame went well other than I had the emergency brake in the wrong set of holes in the frame. After I got that moved, everything went into place quite well.

Attachments

Troy Vetsch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/30/2019
Did a lot of machining today on the transmission output shaft hub and the emergency brake pulley for the Stewart today. The e-brake pulley has to be mounted on the backside of the transmission drive hub so it is quite hard to hold everything in place since the driveshaft bolts also go through the pulley in between the hub and the transmission. Its quite a tight spot to hold everything in place and lined up. So I trued up the surfaces and centered the e-brake pulley on transmission and then I drilled and threaded the holes and bolted everything together to hold it in place. It made for bolting the universal joint of the driveshaft much easier, and I also got the emergency components mounted at the same time. With some lubricant on the slides, everything works just as it should! :D

Attachments