• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Reviving SETCO School Master Clock

Pete Spaco

Registered
I am just getting started with the job of reviving my 1929 Standard Electric Time Co. master clock that came from a school somewhere in northern Illinois.

Here's a short video I made of assessing its condition:

https://youtu.be/vpK2gWRnjzk

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Ronald E. McClellan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
Here is a picture of the system that would ring the bells in the school. The paper tape is run by the clock and the perforations would allow electrical contacts to ring the bells at the proper time through the day. Ron

Attachments

gdstew

Registered
I have one of those at my former shop, complete with 7 day tape, and original paperwork. We punched the tape to ring the start of day, coffee breaks, lunch, and start cleaning up for the end of day. It has a remote transformer that I think is 16 volt. The paperwork will tell. Also have extra tape, tape puncher, and some other small items.
It would run for about 2 years, then some contacts needed to be cleaned. Then run for a couple more years. We finally quit using it and it hasn't run for at least 10 years. Over the many years we had it, several people expressed interest in it but nobody ever made an offer.

Pete Spaco

Registered
Yes, Harry,
That clock history/SETCO tech. is the best site I have found so far.
I am making slow progress, primarily because I got funny readings from my 50 or 60 year old homemade power supply.
Finally got serious about it and discovered that this clock's winding coils (two in series) need 24 VDC. Now have the power supply components working including an on/off switch and a pilot light, but need to box it up properly. Also need to dig out 50 years of junk behind the clock so I can actually SEE the electrical connections which are all on the top of the clock.

This may become an Arduino project so I can eliminate the need to clean pulse contacts every couple of years, as mentioned by gdstew.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
Re: Responsible student rang the bell

I was the trusted arend boy in grade school. The High School in the same building had the master clock in the Freshman class room. I was given a list of times and had to watch the clock and walk up to the clock and push the button to ring the bells. The building was built in the mid 1920's and I could see that it had a punched tape, but whether it was broken or no one knew how to set it up I don't know. The next year I moved on to a different class room, so some one else got to be time keeper.

Dave Mischler