• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

rider-ericsson 10" pumping engine

Owen Holton

Registered
Hi all just wondering is the angel set on the crank of a rider-ericsson 10" 90 degrees to one and outher
Thanks from Australia

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
We need to know exactly what engine you're referring to. Is it a "Rider" engine with the flywheel between a hot and a cold cylinder or an "Ericsson" engine with a walking beam and single cylinder? Both were made by the "Rider-Ericsson Engine Co.".

Owen Holton

Registered
We need to know exactly what engine you're referring to. Is it a "Rider" engine with the flywheel between a hot and a cold cylinder or an "Ericsson" engine with a walking beam and single cylinder? Both were made by the "Rider-Ericsson Engine Co.".
Cheres its is a rider with the flywheel between the power pistion and the displacement pistion

Buster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2020
On the 10 inch rider I do not think they are 90 degrees off I think it is greater than that but do not know how much greater . also I think the stroke on the hot side is longer than the stroke on the cold side .. I have A 10 inch Rider here I will be taking the cold piston out in about 3 weeks to work on it on and can get closer measurements if needed Buster

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

This 10 inch rider has A tag says Rider Ericsson also has one more tag where it was shipped to Australian Branch Sydney . N.S.W Buster

Owen Holton

Registered
On the 10 inch rider I do not think they are 90 degrees off I think it is greater than that but do not know how much greater . also I think the stroke on the hot side is longer than the stroke on the cold side .. I have A 10 inch Rider here I will be taking the cold piston out in about 3 weeks to work on it on and can get closer measurements if needed Buster

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

This 10 inch rider has A tag says Rider Ericsson also has one more tag where it was shipped to Australian Branch Sydney . N.S.W Buster
Thanks mate just don't no mutch on them all i had in the start was 4 palettes of bits
The other thing that has me stumped is the (snifter valve) if any one has a exploded veu of one or one pulled apart that i can get a idea hae it works will be good
cherers owen

Alan R

Registered
Bill, is the valve the same in all sizes of the engines? We are working on an 8 inch here at Jacktown and when pulling it over it seals very well, but when running it seems to not seal and actually taps consistently on each revolution.
Alan

Bill Hazzard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/28/2008
Alan,
I don't know if the valves are all the same or not. The valve is supposed to let air into the cylinder to make up for leakage so I think it is normal for the valve to open on every stroke.

Buster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2020
The snifter valve on the 10 inch rider engine Is larger than the ones I have seen on the 4 and 5 inch engines The reason they are there is to replace air lost by leaking leathers . If the seals are very good it works very little if the leathers leak you can here it pop every stroke If engine still starts good and runs good that is fine . The bottom piston seals are for compression stroke . The biggest job for top seals are to keep over lubrication from going down into engine .. If oil gets by on hot side it will burn up if it gets by on cold side it will gather in bottom of engine and can be drained off from plug on side of base next to bottom of engine . This does not come from Books it is just my way of thinking and is open for correction Buster

Buster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2020
I would recommend On A rider engine ..Putting A tee and ball valve between the engine and the sniffer valve to let in outside air In the event it is over fired and starts to run to fast on A 8 and 10 inch I would use A 3/8 Ball valve on A 5 and 6 use A 1/4 inch valve. Nice RPM for A 10 inch at A show would be 60 to 80 RPM Buster