• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Rider Ericsson 6"

ozzienut

Registered
Hi guys. I am looking for parts for my 6" Rider Ericsson. It has a busted fire box(with the lettering on it) flywheel and other things. Are there any after market spares availible? (in OZ hopefully ) The pistons measure 6&5/8, I assume this is regarded as a 6"

Buster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2020
can you send a picture of the engine and also info off the tag ??? Buster Brown

pjjms

Registered
There are some parts being cast in Aussie for the 8" engines. Not sure about the smaller ones. I have seen new rocking beams and yokes. I'll PM you if I can find more details.

The flywheel may be a problem to get. Do you have all the parts of it? Repair would be ok given they run so slow.

LizRon

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Hi
Ring Paul in Sydney On 0298337303
He may have some parts or can find them for you
Ron

ozzienut

Registered
Hi Buster, sorry no tag but there is a stamped number on one of the seal hold down rings. 21602. Is this the machine serial No?

ozzienut

Registered
Thanks pjjms, but here OH&S take a dim view of repaired flywheels, have to sacrifice one of your kids before they will let you run a repaired one. Might be on to some small parts in Queensland, will let you know.

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
I'm pretty certain 21,602 is your serial no. Does the engine have "REECO" anwhere on it--that was the company's trademark at the time.

Buster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2020
does the fire box say Denny improved or Rider Ericsson dont understand print on fire Box or 6 5/8 Bore ... Is fire box in two pieces horizontal or vertical ????? Buster

ozzienut

Registered
Thanks Buster. No tag as I said but it does have REECO RIDER on the top line and then Rider Ericsson Engine Co in a semicircle with New York,Chigago, Philadelphia Boston inserted. I was a bit more careful this time and the pistons actually measure 6 & 3/4

ozzienut

Registered
Thanks Buster. No tag as I said but it does have REECO RIDER on the top line and then Rider Ericsson Engine Co in a semicircle with New York,Chigago, Philadelphia Boston inserted. I was a bit more careful this time and the pistons actually measure 6 & 3/4
Hi guys, back again.. Have rebuilt with new fire boxes and flywheel etc, but won't run even have connected a stationary engine to drive it . Everything looks good and air tight but seems too out of balance, cold piston seems too heavy. Am sure plenty of heat, running it on coal. Are there specifications re piston weights? I did not take any sand out. Frustrating

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
Did your 'hot cap' (bottom end of the heated cylinder) reach a dull red color?--that's how hot it needs to be, and that might take 20-30 minutes. Most hot air engine problems are either air leaks or friction; weight of the original piston shouldn't be a problem. Did you make new leather seals for both pistons?

Buster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2020
Is it possible to post A couple of pictures of the engine . ??????? I think I can help Buster