• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE in your location!

Rider Ericsson 6"

ozzienut

Registered
Probably a question for Buster. After a lot of work, I am about to crank up my 6" Rider Ericsson found in a swamp. Would you have a build date on serial number 34743?

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
I keep a registry of known Rider-Ericsson engine serial nos., and the last one on the list is no. 25,183. Can you double check your no. and if possible post a photo of the maker's plate?

Buster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2020
Look on top of engine and see if you can see serial number stamped on top or on side close to top . see if it is same as tag .. Brent is correct picture of tag would help very much Buster

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
None are known to have ever been produced under the Rider-Ericsson name outside of the United States. Please double check again the serial no. and post a photo of the nameplate if possible.

ozzienut

Registered
Thanks Heaps to Brent ,Typak & Buster for your input. I appreciate your help. Unfortunately the tag is long gone. The number I have found is on the lower edge of the regenerator. Again unfortunately the last digit has been restamped with a 4 stamped half over a 3. I thought that the number would be as first quoted, but from what Brent has said it appears that the true number could be 3474 which I thought would be a low number for Australia. There is no 1 in front of 3474. Are there any other places for a serial number?

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
My best guess is that your no. is 13474 as you mention a 1 in front of 3474. A no. as low as 3474 would more likely be from the Rider Engine Co. or Delamater Iron Works before these two companies joined forces in the mid-1890s as Rider-Ericsson. On the other hand 13474 lies closest in the list to two other Rider engines (made by the Rider-Ericsson Co.) that are or were also in Australia (nos. 13005 and 13849). The closest positively dated engine to these numbers is one in the 16,000s from 1906. It's impossible to determine exact dates as the company records have been lost, but I would guess yours is from 1904-06.

ozzienut

Registered
Thanks heaps Brent. Despite all sorts of attempts, there is no evidence of any number in front of 3474, so I will go with your suggestion that it falls in with others in Oz close to that serial number. I have had a new name plate cast and will now stamp it. Am I looking on the lower edge of the regenerator as the only place for a serial number?

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
I'm sorry but I misread your previous post: I thought you meant "there is no. 1 in front of 3474", but now I see you said "no 1" instead of "no. 1". My mistake; so can't say now for sure what the number is. I also don't know where the numbers are found on other parts of the engine so best to let Buster respond to that. Sorry for the confusion and hope you find another number.

Buster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2020
I am A little confused about the location of serial number . You mentioned serial number next to regenerator which leaves me to think it is A Rider engine . On the Ericsson engine it should be near the top of cold cylinder next to support for walking beam .... Or it could be on side of engine next to the top Is it possible to post A picture of engine . ..??? Buster

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
Buster,
I'm almost sure it's a Rider engine made by Rider-Ericsson. People are always confusing the term "Ericsson engine"--the engine John Ericsson patented in 1880 (single cylinder with the walking beam)--with "Rider engine"--the twin cylinder engine patented by Alexander Rider from the 1870s onward. It doesn't help that both Delamater Iron Works of NYC and the Rider Engine Co. of Walden, NY made both Rider and Ericsson engines or that the when these two companies consolidated in the mid-1890s under the new company name "Rider-Ericsson" (in Walden), they continued to produce both types under the new name. As you and I know there's no such thing as a "Rider-Ericsson engine", only a Rider or an Ericsson engine that was made by Rider-Ericsson.

So other than the nameplate, where are serial numbers located on Rider engines?

Buster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2020
I have seen one engine that had number stamped next to piston seals up on the cold side of engine . I do not think this was factory markings . Most are stamped on front of engine By the cross over where the regenerator plates are located ..this would be Just below the cover plate Buster

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
I think we can safely conclude that it's a post-1895 Rider engine. Would be nice if 'ozzienut' could post a photo of the engine and the serial no.