• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

RIP Kent David Redd aka K D Redd

Nevr-Enuf-Stuf

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
I dont know if anyone else knows this but I just spoke with Kents wife and she informed me that he was killed in a tractor accident on the 15 of December. She told me that he was clearing out a row of old dead trees with their John Deere B, one of the trees he had a chain around but didnt realize that the tree had completely grown around a steel fence post, when he tried to pull the tree up it didnt budge and it pulled the tractor over on top of him. Although he lived just 100+ miles south of me (Pleasant Hope, MO.) I never got to see him in person but I spoke to him several times on the phone and here on the stak, he helped me plenty and was the one who did the coil conversion for one of my very first engines that got me going into this hobby, my Briggs ZZ. Rest in Peace Redd, you will be greatly missed.:salute: :(

Patrick

Tom G

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Sorry to hear it. He seemed to be very knowledgeable about engines.

Pat Barrett

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Never met the man, but I enjoyed many of his helpful post on the stak, he was well versed in our hobby, I saw here, he helped many people with his deep knowledge and I'm sorry to hear this. He was a great stakker

Ed Sparks

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2015
All I can say is WOW!
What an amazing & knowledgeable man Kent was.
Condolences to his wife & family

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

his OBIT:

Kent David Redd

Birth: Aug. 14, 1950
Halfway
Polk County
Missouri, USA
Death: Dec. 15, 2011
Pleasant Hope
Polk County
Missouri, USA

Kent David Redd, 61, of Pleasant Hope died Dec. 15, 2011, at his home. He was born Aug. 14, 1950, in Half Way, the son of Herbert Redd and Dorthy Anderson Redd. On May 21, 1976, Kent married Loretta Choate Redd.

He was a devoted husband who shared a great love of all animals with his wife. Never was an animal of any kind turned away; they were always fed, warmed and loved.

Kent loved a challenge of any kind. If it was broke, he wanted to fix it. He worked at Zenith for 19 years. His love for automotives and electronics led him to begin his own business after Zenith closed.

He attended Rock Prairie Missionary Baptist Church for many years and was a volunteer with the Pleasant Hope Fire Department.

Kent was preceded in death by his mother, Dorthy Redd, and his mother-in-law, Irene Choate.

He is survived by his wife of 35 years, Loretta; his father, Herbert Redd; a brother, Emmett Redd and wife Judy; a sister, Pam Lakey and husband Farron; two nephews, Matthew Lakey and wife Lori and Nathan Redd; two nieces, Farrah Lakey and Emmily Bolen and husband Josh; six great-nieces and great-nephews; and his father-in-law, Novie Choate.

Services were Sunday, Dec. 18, at Pitts Chapel with Bro. DeWayne Burdette and Bro. Jerry Grant officiating. Burial was in Rock Prairie Cemetery.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Rock Prairie Missionary Baptist Church or the Pleasant Hope Fire Department.

KY3 reported shortly after the accident:

A farmer died on Thursday afternoon after his tractor fell on top of him in a field. Emergency medical responders said Kent Redd, 61, was pulling a steel post out of the ground when the tractor tipped over.

The accident was on Redd's property near the intersection of Highway KK at Highway H just north of Pleasant Hope. The accident especially affected the medical responders because Redd was a volunteer for the Pleasant Hope Fire Department.

THE BOLIVAR HERALD-FREE PRESS
Dec 20, 2011

Kent David Redd, 61, of Pleasant Hope lived a life of public service, according to those who served alongside him in the Pleasant Hope Fire Protection District and the city of Pleasant Hope, until his untimely death in a tractor accident Thursday afternoon near Pleasant Hope.

"He'll be missed by us," said fellow firefighter David Agee. "We've already missed him."

Polk County Coroner Roy Harms said Redd died in a tractor accident at about 3:20 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 15, at 1001 Hwy. KK near the intersection of Rt. H just north of Pleasant Hope.

"He was pulling out old stumps in a small orchard, and he had a chain attached to a steel post used long ago to stabilize a young tree. The root system had grown around the post and offered resistance," Harms said. "The tractor flipped over and upside down."

Fellow firefighter and city of Pleasant Hope employee Rick Davis said Redd was like a brother to him.

"I just saw him 15 minutes before the accident — on the tractor," Davis said. "We had our day all planned out on Friday."

As a fire department volunteer, Redd operated the pumps on the fire trucks, worked most of the helicopter landing zones set up by the department, did traffic control at emergency scenes and performed maintenance on the department's equipment.

"Back when he joined the department, he said, ‘If you get me on the fire department, I can't handle blood,'" Davis said. So his first job with the department was traffic control.

"Anything we asked him to do, he would do it — as long as it didn't involve blood. He was there for almost every call."

His home-based small-engine repair business allowed for him to respond to calls most any time, and his mechanical prowess was invaluable to the department, as well as the city of Pleasant Hope.

"If we had something broken, he'd work on it," Agee said.

"This guy was a genius. If you wanted something built, he would build it," Davis said.

Redd also worked for the city for a couple of years as a water meter reader.

Troy Copeland, who works for the city of Pleasant Hope and is a volunteer firefighter, said Redd came to the city's rescue several times with his mechanical knowledge.

"He was kind of our on-call guy with electrical problems we had," Copeland said. "He was always there if we had a tough problem."

Once, when a lift station went down during the night and the replacement part that was received the next day didn't work, Copeland said Redd went to his house and came back with odd parts that kept the lift station running for six weeks until the replacement part showed up.

"You can't always judge a book by its cover," Copeland said. "He seemed so stand-offish, but once you got to know him, he would do anything for you. He would drop what he was doing to help you out."

Fire trucks and personnel from Morrisville, Ebenezer, Chapel Hills, Bolivar City, Central Polk County Fire and Rescue and Half Way were at the funeral Sunday afternoon.

M

Monte Stock

Kent was a local boy around here. Though I never met him, I felt I knew him from this board. This literally is bringing tears to my eyes. I had the same feelings with Delco Don. We have lost two great folks lately. God bless their family and Friends.

Jeff Lauber

Registered
im at a loss for the right words. i knew Kent though emails we exchanged about DB items and other engine stuff. It going to be a huge loss for the entire small engine groups.

dirtycurt

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/20/2012
this past summer kent helped me with a engine.we met on the stak.i stopped by his farm when i was going south on vacation,he asked me to bring the engine along,so i did we talked for a few hours and i left the engine with him. and on my way back again stopped by and he had the proble resolved.he was very smart he showed me around his shop and farm. he was very kind man didnt want anything for fixin my engine and gave me a engine to take home.i think he would have helped anyone in need.i felt like i knew him for years after meeting him.thanks for posting his obituary.i may have not found out for a long time

Restofire

Registered
I didnt know the man, but he answered a question or 2 that I posted, and he was happy to share his knowledge with me, Im glad I told him that. His presence will be missed. May he be in Heaven where the engines never rust or leak !

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Very sad. Like many others here I never met the man in person, just through this forum where he was always helpful. RIP Redd

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Always sad to lose one of our group. Rest in peace K.D.

Farmboy1

Registered
Wow....i simply can not believe this, he had helpped me many a time, and we had held a conversation or two, and he seemed like a very smart man, his coil conversion was amazing it just blows me away to have heard this...

Weezer

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/07/2014
The passing of K.D. and Delco Don got me to thinkin. I walked right past a group of ya at Cabin Fever ( I didn't check up for the picture time)and didn't know it. I've seen some at Rough and Tumble and didn't know it. Could Smokstak sell something (hats/shirts/stickers/ magnets) that identifies us at shows or to put on our equipment? This is a great group of people and I'd like to say that at least I got to shake a hand and offer an in person "Thank you for your help". Rest easy K.D & Don, you both will be sorely missed. Jim

OOPs, just found the Hats & Tee's........ Its only been a couple years....... Guess I should look before jumping.:bonk:

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Sorry to hear of his passong, my most sincere condolances to his wife and family. He will be missed here on the Stak :salute:
Andrew

Ed Sparks

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2015
In thinking more about Kent's untimely death:
How many of us take for granted our families and friends. We all need to live life to the fullest and never forget to tell your loved ones how much they mean to us.
We never know when our time is up , until it's too late.

I had just received a couple of Onan manuals from Kent the night before he was killed. He had been helping me troubleshoot a gremlin, and found it by his "outside the box" way of thinking. He had a Simple solution to diagnose a real pain is the arse intermittent problem.
The world is a lesser place without his knowledge and willingness to share.
:salute: Rest in peace my friend
We never met face to face, but through this great forum we became friends.

Nevr-Enuf-Stuf

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Ed is quite right, everyday we take to much for granted including time. I turn 43 tomorrow, just now in typing that its so hard for me to believe that so much time has gone by. Lately Ive been thinking just how short my time, every ones time is here on earth. The old saying was as true then as it is today and everyday, Live today as if it were your last. Live life to the fullest. We only have one go around in this world, dont miss an opportunity to help another and at least try to do all of the things you would like to do and accomplish.

Patrick

Billy J Shafer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019
Hard to believe he is not around. I talked to him last summer about an Onan unit. He had a few questions. I think he helped me more than I helped him. Guys like him are getting rare.