• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Rock Island F/FA 18-35 manifolds being made

Paul Searl

Subscriber
I was speaking with Carl Jansen this week and he is getting a run of Rock Island F/ FA 18-35 manifolds done. they will be $1500 for the bare casting and $1900 if machined if he does a run of 20, if he can get enough to justify a run of 30, the price will drop. If you need his contact info pm or email me. Considering how many F's need manifolds and how hard they are to find good ones, this is the best shot to get one for anyone needing one. These will fit a 4 cylinder Buda YR/YRA engine or compatible variant.

Paul Searl

Subscriber
Frank, this is the standard model. are you perhaps thinking of the G2/h3/h4 15-25's with Waukesha engines? they had a standard kero/gas manifold and an optional two piece gas only manifold. the F's had just one option standard, although I have notations in a late parts book for an optional high altitude manifold, I've never actually seen one that I can confirm.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
The 18-35 has 2 style manifolds. Mine has the gas/ cold version with the exhaust high over the top of the intake runner, sits well above the level of the head. The hot version has the exhaust runner considerably lower. I've seen more of the latter, in fact I don't recall seeing any others like mine on tractors in this area.

Paul Searl

Subscriber
There is an entry in the very late parts book I have for a high altitude manifold with some part numbers, but no pictures. I will be curious to see if they match up as I have no other info on it.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Went out and looked for the manifold #, GE48YA. That Y could also be a 1. That manifold number was on the intake runner, didn't find any thing on the exhaust runner. the motor is the Buda YRA, 4.5 bore, 6 in stroke. I remembered where I saw the other one like it. Years back I repaired the motor on one from southern Ill for a friend. It also had this manifold. These manifolds crack the intake runner where it bolts onto the manifold above the carb. On that one I had to piece the intake back together as it was in 3 pieces, I see this one is starting to do the same thing. I know a picture would be great but I'm not set up for that.

Paul Searl

Subscriber
Frank, yes that would be the high altitude manifold option. GE481 and GE514 made up the manifold with GE755 inlet extension and GE756 exhaust pipe flange were all listed as the high altitude option package. I will have to take another look through my photos, I think I have seen an F with an alternate manifold, but I thought it was a replacement. the parts book I referenced for this was actually the one Case put out after the buyout, so not sure when exactly the option was first offered. I don't have parts books for each year unfortunately.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
This one apparently has the complete package still on it as the cast stack is unusual in that it is cast with a wide directional outlet on it, I haven't seen any other ones with a intact cast stack on them. Reminds me of a submarine periscope! :D Thanks for the up date. I've never seen a parts book or operators book on them, always helps to learn from them. It's very possible that the package was offered as a customer up date too, as the fuel tank I think has the starting tank compartment. So maybe it was done to get away from dual fuel.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
The outlet is the same as the one here but the manifold is not. Nice that your's is still on steel and looks complete. I haven't had this one out of the barn for 25 years! It's on cut down rubber and the front steering is in need of work. This one came from a saw mill near Silver Lake Mo. Doubt if it was sold new to them as it looks like it did a lot of drawbar work at some time . When we found it, it was up on blocking at the mill and they just kept it on the belt. The belt pulley has been badly damaged as well and is hard to keep tight on the shaft. Also it has had serious repairs to the housing under the clutch, almost looks like it could have been broken in 2 at some time. It's had a rough life!

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Apparently these tractors must have sold well. There seem to be a number of them still around the show circuit and I've heard of more in collectors barns. The ones I've driven seem to be quite clumsy in the steering and light on the rear. Not sure of build date but 28 sounds familiar.

Paul Searl

Subscriber
if you have a serial number on yours I can narrow it down. also can narrow it down with a few other things like tf 500 or tf900 rear and castings. while not a bad tractor, they were by no means state of the art or top of the line, and everything was purchased. being built from 1927 to 1935 (with a few exceptions in 36), a lot were still in use during the war so avoided the scrap drives. the F/FA series was the largest run of the gear drive rock islands, with over 3000 built I believe. The G2 series only had about 1000 built, but they seem to pop up a lot still.