Yeah I've timed and retimed and retimed etc etc
Then I downloaded the timing info for an American Bosch FX1 maggy from the net and set it up that way with no luck, see attached.
When I got this engine I thought as it looked in pretty good condition it wouldn't take much to firer it up but no such luck. .
Today I decided to take the head off and check the valves, see photos. Looks like someone in the past has played with this engine before as the exhaust valve looks as if has never been seated. Both inlet and exhaust valve steem guide in the head have been broken, any ideas on how to repair them? :shrug: I was thinking of using that Selleys Knead It steel epoxy ? :shrug: :shrug: so off to the shed (Bunnings) to buy some.
Await with baited breath on your comments as they are always very helpful
Hey dobbo, you are local to me I am in highfields. Great idea using the oxy bottle for wheels. Do you have any spare sections of it you are willing to sell, having the same wheel dilemma. They look good!
[QUOTE=Engineman87;Hey dobbo, you are local to me I am in highfields.
Yes I am close to you only over at Argenton.
Yeah these wheels are coming up great! Unfortunately I didn't get extras rims cut, a guy I know has a metal/blacksmith workshop and we raided his scrap heap. My the rear wheels I'm making out of a 330mm pipe also from his scrap heap.
Nice work on the wheels Dobbo they look great.
Have you had time to get the head to a workshop ofr repairs as yet? As suggested the seats and a pair of guides and if available valves too would be in order unless they can grind those ones again. Keep on batting on, you will win. Look forward to hearing that it lives again.
Only took the head off today so will take head and valves to machine shop tomorrow. While that is away I'll get stuck in to making the timber sides, axles, steering dolly and for the transporter. Might have it all going before Chrissy .
I gave myself a time schedule of twelve months to have it running.
Say guday to Cobbette for us
Cobbarette has received your greetings with a grin.
You didn't mention 'which Christmas' did you.
With valves like that its a wonder it had compression at all. Looks like the top of the piston had a few touches too. Keep plugging away at it, you will win.
Well the head has been at the workshop for the week with no response on when or if it can be fixed, so the M sits dejected in the shed along with me.
So other things to do
Repair the old bench vice as it has been sticking a bit when opening, cleaned slides and what the hec a new paint gob.
Oh and of cause she how must be obeyed wants the garden path finished, just one job off her list oh well I'm back in the good book for awhile
Tomorrow it's replace the floor in the trailer, getting ready to go over to Wellington later this month to the clearing sale of John Brister engines, you never know.
Plus working on the Kelly and Lewis type N 3/4" centrifugal pump.
Oh well as Mrs Kelly's son said such is life
Sincw the trailer is getting anew floor for a good reason you might as well beef up the springs to carry more engines back plus bring home more building material for your next big shed.
This hobby is a tragic diesease to have. Fortunatley it is not painful unless something follows you home that the significant other was not warned about.
Never go too heavy on springs. All it means is that the whole trailer (including what-evers inside) bounces instead of the springs doing their job. A light load in a trailer with heavy springs can cause a lot of grief to the load.
I always go lighter in springs and heavier in axles, tyres etc just so the load has a nice ride. Especially if the trailer floor is steel.