• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Rookie with IHC M

asw20

Registered
Cobba, as I expect it's a bigger size (most are) I was just after a couple of pictures of the bearings either on the bench, or going in. It's not critical so don't worry about it. Just second guessing myself, as usual :) If someone has pictures then great, otherwise no problem.
Back to work on Tuesday, doubt I'll get a whole lot done before then. Have another straight 8 wreck to pick up tomorrow.

Cheers, Jarrod.

cobbadog

Registered
Hi Jarrod, I will ask about the traps with with the guys who were involved but this might take some time. I think of them think the isolation thing also means dont answer emails or talk on the phone.

Dobbo56

Registered
Well late today I started on the valves, measured old valve lenght and lenght to the cross pin holes, marked these onto the new valves, cut the exhaust valve to lenght but decided to leave the inlet valve at the lenght at purchase, only about 6 mm longer than inlet, drilled holes for the cross pins then out came the suction cup stick and grinding paste and round and round and round. Exhaust finished yehar ! 😊👍

Dobbo56

Registered
No did it the hard way but tomorrow it's going to be the battery drill. Luck the valves I bought have slots in the face so a screw driver bit in the drill and away I wil go.

Dobbo56

Registered
Got up this morning ready to go but found out tha the next door neighbor ( a nurse working at a local hospital in emergency) she worded 10 days straight 12 hour night work shift, had easter off and back on night shift again so thought I better take the buffalo for a quick walk around the front lawn, before she goes to bed, don't want to upset her with all that is going on (Covid) now a days, plus her partner is a policeman and he is on all sorts of shifts, real early this morning.
So only just got around to the valve lapping and only took mins to complete when using the battery drill.
Second photo shows old valves, inlet valve was over sized and the previous owner had had a go at both on a linisher, note face of top one, shafts are just as bad.
Will put the head back on tomorrow as I want have to make too much noise

Attachments

Dobbo56

Registered
Assembled the valves in the head and as I went to put it on the engine, fat fingers got in the way and knocked the head over and broke one of the mixer studs off BUGGER !😠
Quickly made up a new one, made 2 new gaskets and assembled the mixer to head this time before taking it to engine. All fitted up to engine and fuel lines reattached, had to straighten the threaded part on the govener fitting and now all is ready to add fuel and try to start it, but not today wont push things to far for one day, but good to see it all back together again.😁🤗
Cheers
Dobbo

Attachments

cobbadog

Registered
BUGGA ! as they say.
At least it is back together again and looking good. You wont sleep tonight becasue you will be anxious to do the start up.

Dobbo56

Registered
Might get a chance to get into the shed now it's the weekend, the other half thinks that she needs more help with her hobby, GARDENING :oops::oops::eek::O, already had me mow the lawn then cut a big limb out of a tree in the chook pen that the grub got into, has her eye on a long limb in the liquid amber but to bl**dy high off the ground for me, so the sons mate is coming Monday to do it.
Oh well down to 2 more jobs on the M before trying to start, 1. get the exhaust elbow off old head, that might take some doing.
2. check or set timing
Oh well better go see what the darling has planned for me today :love: :clap:
Cheers and have a productive weekend guys
Dobbo

cobbadog

Registered
Good on ya, haven't you heard of Round Up, it is the easiest way to garden. Good idea to delegate the tree lopping to the youngens as most of them know everything. Get back in the shed and get the elbow fitted and timing done ready a start up, now I can't wait.

Dobbo56

Registered
No joy today, didn't matter how much heat that I could get into the head no movement of the exhaust elbow, will take a trip down the road and see the mate that is a blcksmith he might be able to get a bit more heat than I could. Moved on to the timing and again no joy, not getting a spark from the maggy, so much for the expensive rebuild, although it did work when it came back. Oh well tomorrow is another day

cobbadog

Registered
Is the magneto earthed well? If not scratch off the paint under the body so it can earth out. Back to square one, does it make spark against itself? If it does then it maybe the bad earth. If not clean your points and gap them again.
Can you get a elbow at Bunnings like I can on the small Buzacotts

Dobbo56

Registered
Hey Cobba
The elbow is around 2" with a fine thread not a BSW thread so don't think Bunning would have it, don't think they have much at all these day, went down on Friday for 4 only m12 x 75 mm bolts and nuts could only have 65 or 110mm. This little ( as Scotty calls it) beer thingy has becoming a god send for some business and Bunnings is one, went down to not so cheap this morning to get a R pin, got there at 10.06am and as I walked in the line up of people trying to get out though the checkout was half way down the shop, then had to go to KMart for a bike tube for Di's bike ( we have been doing our social exerciseing) and there was bugger all on the shelves.
Thanks for the suggection about earthing, it has been a while since I got the maggy back from rebuild and with all the humid or wet weather since it could be a bit rusty under the body, so will have a look after Mick leaves when he has finished with the liquid amber tree.
I think I sat there with the gas burner going for about an hour today and the elbow didn't even look like it was going to budge so I will take it to the mate's for him to do.
Thought of another job that needs to be done today to fall in with the safety police (NHMA) have to make a muffler as you can't buy one. Oh well there is always something to do.
Been rearranging the shed today and looking at a transporter for the BSA so might change tacts and do a liitle more on it and have a rest from the M.
Cheers Dobbo

cobbadog

Registered
I made a muffler to quiten down the Buzacox. Like the fram pumper too they have a tendancy to bark and the cracking sound can give you a head ache an a half. So I picked up some offcuts from the exhaust shop and used a pipe flange for the end that screws onto the exhaust pipe extension. I started with a smallest OD piece of pipe and welded it to the flange and made it say 4" long. Then a flat round piece of sheet steel the same OD as the flange was made and then welded a 5" length od the middle size OD pipe and finally then welded the largest pipe the same size as the flange about 6" long to the flange then welded the end on as well. This meant the exhaust has to go out and back then out again. Then I had to drill a series of small holes in the outer sheet metal for the gas to get out. I worrked out the minimum number of 1/8" holes to be drilled and drilled them out in a pattern. The amount of holes equalled the diameter of the exhaust pipe. It works a treat, it is more like a sneeze than a bark now.

cobbadog

Registered
When I was in earth moving and was asked what I did for a living I would say a plant operator. They would have a stunned look on their dials so I then said a tree surgeon and that made them feel better. I know one thing even back then like now heights are something I don't do.

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
Dobbo, the elbows are the American pipe thread standard, not ours and Don Reid has the mufflers. I think he's out of cast iron ones but has cast alloy ones.
For the magneto, check points cleanliness, clean contact from magneto, it's bracket and bits where they bolt onto the crankcase and see if there's a definite snapping sound when the points break.

Cheers Scott