• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Root & Vandervoort Hoist

Harry Terpstra

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Two months ago I laid my hands on a 7 hp vertical Root & Vandervoort hoist engine. I am working on it already and it's not looking to bad.
Are there any people here on Smokestak that know of or own a vertical R&V hoist engine?
The engine came from Argentina were it spend it's working live hoisting boats out of river.

Attachments

Ed Hedge

Registered
Re: Root & Vandervoort hoist

The picture of the other R&V houst engine is now in Idaho. It is a 4hp engine single hoist. Used in a mine in soouothern Calif. Runs good. My husband is in process of building a new cart. We are going to do a display with ore cart this summer. we also have two other 4hp verticals looking for a 2hp. Jan:) :)

Harry Terpstra

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

Hi Jan & Ed,
I have been looking on internet for pictures of information about other R&V hoist engines. This is the first time I actually "found" another hoist owner of a R&V hoist.
On my engine the waterpump is different than on other vertical R&V's thats because the hoist is where on "normal" verticals the waterpump is.
I'm working to make a ignitor for it now as mine was changed over to sparkplug. I may have many questions for you in the (near) future.

Coen Verwer

Registered

Hi Harry, Nice toy!

Hope your hoist is ready for Nuenen this year, a unique engine in Holland.

Goodluck!

Harry Terpstra

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

Hi Coen,

The engine will NOT be ready for the Nuenen show this year!
I have done some work on it, but there is still allot to do. I just finished the ignitor. It was converted to sparkplug so I had to make anew ignitor plus trip.

Ed Hedge

Registered

Harry, If you co to Smokstack and the Pendleton Or. Show you will see a picture of our R&V hoist engine. It now pulls an ore cart on Rail. Jan:) :)
Two months ago I laid my hands on a 7 hp vertical Root & Vandervoort hoist engine. I am working on it already and it's not looking to bad.
Are there any people here on Smokestak that know of or own a vertical R&V hoist engine?
The engine came from Argentina were it spend it's working live hoisting boats out of river.

Harry Terpstra

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

I have the Root&Vandervoort running by now!
I put it together again just to hear it running before I start the "real" restauration.
I have been trying all week to get it going but I did have a He#@ of a time to get it through compression. After a couple of days trying I had a sore shoulder pulling these flywheels trough compression.
I found out that the igniter trip (that I made myself) was probably not "snapping" hard enough.
I fixed this and I had it running pretty easy (with the help of a friend to to pull it over;-)
Anyway it was a very GOOD day:)

Emmett Ashley

Registered

Hi, I have a 5 hp root & vandervoort vertical with the cast base and bull gear just need to find a winch, engine runs great. Emmett Fresno Ca.

Harry Terpstra

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Any chance to get a picture?
I hope you'll find your winch, might be hard to find though.

Registered
Hola,congratulations,it is a great addition,my great grandfather Peter Eichenberger used the same R&V in the construction of wooden bridges in the town of Romang (a colony of Swiss) located 750 kms. north of Buenos Aires,Argentina.
Greetings.

Dan Anderson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2019
That is a wonderful find Harry, hopefully soon you can put her back to her business! Interesting engine

Harry Terpstra

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Somehow and to my shame I never posted pictures of the finished engine.
Here are a few from it's first appearance at a local show.
I have taken it to a couple of shows now, but it's a bit on the heavy side for me to haul.

Attachments

Travis Benner

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
12/07/2019
Harry, nice engine and beautiful presentation! Thank you for sharing it with us.

I was looking through some archives and found these photos from Coolspring in 2013. Wish I had taken more pictures...

Frank46

Registered
Ah heck, rather than push all them like buttons I've decided to give all of you a LIKE. And thanks very much for sharing as it's much appreciated. Frank

Harry Terpstra

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Thank you for the pictures Travis. Unfortunately I wasn't at Coolspring in 2013. I hope it will be at Coolspring in 2015 as I plan to be there.
Do you happen to know how many hp it was? I assume it must be a 4 or 5hp.
There are some differences to my engine. The most obvious is that it doesn't have a speed changing device.

Scooby

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2018

Hi Ed: Saw by your post that you are looking for a 2hp R&V vertical. I have one- restored, it is up in Wis. with Mike Schlender. email me for price and Mikes phone no. Thanks Bob