• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Rs1 magneto problems

interm

Registered
Went to start my 4hp Ronny n type today couldn't get him to kick grabbed hold of the spark plug lead and only got a small tingle while cranking it would that be the condenser she hasn't been started for quite a while also where can i buy a condenser in QLD cheers ken

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello Ken.
It could be a number of things. Condenser, coil or just dirty points.
Start at the basics by cleaning and adjust points. 12 tho isn't it?

Do you have a reasonably good multimeter? If so measure the HT side of the coil. That's from a good grounding to where the spark comes out of the coil. Take the cap off first.

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

Registered
I set my RS1 points to 0.015" on the Buzacott but cleaning and gapping is very inportant. If you have a multi-meter also test continuity of the HT lead from the contact inside the cap to the connector on the end of the lead. with condensors I think a Holden style one from Bosch a GL106I think will work inside or better still a film capacitor from the local electronic shop / jaycar. After these simple items then its time to test the coil as Scotty suggests.