• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Rumely 36 HP " Canadian model " restoration nearly complete.

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
The big Rumely project is now down to the smaller details. This is an Alberta dry bottom boilered model built as a 1911 model # 6036. It was sold new out of the Calgary Rumely Branch House and shipped to Manyberries Alta. arriving there for its first inspection on May 22 1912.
My hunting and gathering started 25 years ago. Two years ago I decided that it was time to put it together. Over all those years I had some incredible good luck in locating parts and pieces. I started with only the rear wheels . In all we located 5 sites where 36 Rumelys were either scrapped or picked apart. these ranged from mile 18 on the Alaska Hwy to Big River Sask, Southern Alberta, and Central BC. The boiler and a lot of parts came from a mill site near Prince George BC. The boiler was stored inside but when the old girl was parted out the pieces were pushed over the bank and buried. Our excavator unearthed a lot of pieces some that would be otherwise nearly imposable to find.
Gary will post some photos on which I will comment . All questions welcome

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
This is an Alberta dry bottom boilered model built as a 1911 model # 6036. It was sold new out of the Calgary Rumely Branch House and shipped to Manyberries Alta. arriving there for its first inspection on May 22 1912. All questions welcome
Hello George,

As you mentioned, this engine you are restoring is using parts from multiple engines. What part of this engine are you tying it's history to?
I would assume the boiler and the parts that were dug up and not the rear wheels you started with. Does this engine have a serial number?

Thanks for doing the good work and bringing another piece of history back to life.

Wayne Riedlinger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
George I sure admire the lengths you and others have and are going to for the preservation of these engines. The determination, perseverance, dedication and probably a good bit of plain old sh.......house luck, and patience. And a lot of work.

LundMachineWorks

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2018
George, being that your engine was sold in Alberta,was it stamped with an "A" number? If so, where?

Thank you.

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Geetings George,
I'm posting the photos you emailed me. I had to tweak them slightly to make them post. I hope the order I did them is okay with you.

I must say, you have done a stunning job on this engine and I love hearing the history you have of these Canadian Special models.
Gary;)

Attachments

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
Wow! This is looking first class. Thanks for the thread George and Gary.
George - do you have the family name of the folks at Manyberries? Perhaps it will show up in a testimonial in one of the magazines from the day. I have a few copies here.

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Hello George,

As you mentioned, this engine you are restoring is using parts from multiple engines. What part of this engine are you tying it's history to?
I would assume the boiler and the parts that were dug up and not the rear wheels you started with. Does this engine have a serial number?

Thanks for doing the good work and bringing another piece of history back to life.
You are correct. The boiler and the parts we dug up in Prince George gave me the boiler's Alberta number A 797 . Thanks to Randy Kevill we obtained 25 pages from the Alberta archives which included the original build sheets from Erie Ironworks dated Feb 20th 1911 . This also gave us the engine's Rumely serial number # 6036 . Fortunately all of the numbers on this boiler are perfectly clear to read. The Alberta numbers are stamped above the fire door Just to the right of center below the hand hole.
The boiler had been used for heating up until 1983. so we had a fairly recent inspection report that gave me the BC registration figures to coincide with the BC number stamped on the boiler. All of the Erie build numbers are to the right of the fire door just above center. Cheers George

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Rick, My wife and I spent a day in Manyberries last year and came up dry. I wrote an article and sent it to the local farm paper which has a circulation of 600 and again came up dry. Here is the names of the first owners .
It appears it was bought by a consortium of farmers. I have no idea what it cost new. The 35 N&S came from the same area and it was $4500 so the Rumely would be in the same price range. A lot of Moola in 1912. So from the inspection sheets of 1912 the owners were Wilson,Manning,Harper,Emmerson. In sept 1913 the owners were Wilson and Harper. The engineer was Wilson. They had already needed boiler repairs. It reads " Repair bulge in crown sheet and replace 6 radial stays". In Sept 1915 the owners were listed as Wilson and Harper with Engineer Harper. On 18th of July 1916 it was still Wilson and Harper but moved to Vulcan Alberta. In July of 1917 it shows the owner as M Rumely Co Calgary There it had more boiler repairs for a total of 22 radial stays. In 1918 Rumely sold it to a T Stevens and shipped it to Barons Alberta near Lethbridge . And on it goes arriving at the mill site where we dug up the parts in Prince George in Jan 1944 Fortunatly the young fellow ,Tom Mc Lennan who helped to get the machine from the flatcar to the mill site in 1944 was there when it was parted out in the 50's and was able to visit when we dug for parts in 1994. He assured us that the pieces were indeed there.

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Tom Mc Lennan who helped to get the machine from the flatcar to the mill site in 1944 was there when it was parted out in the 50's and was able to visit when we dug for parts in 1994. He assured us that the pieces were indeed there.
Why did they bury the parts?

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Why did they bury the parts?
In the 50's Prince George was 500 miles north of Vancouver in the middle of nowhere. There was no value in scrap then and like the prairies all the junk went into the closest slough, ravine, or creek. The first piece we dug up was a rear wheel which is now on Jerred Rubles 36 Rumely. The big differential gear was about 12 feet down buried in old sawdust , lumber and old iron. We turned over about an acre up to 15 feet deep. Just the Differential gear was worth the cost. It was in good condition complete with the 4 spider gears.
Cheers George.

Colin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
That's an interesting story nice to have all that history. Dad was able to get it for out 110 to. Wonder if those parts were burried in the same area some of our 110 parts were. Tom seemed to know the area they were pushed into K-o it was just old junk to get rid of back then. There's lots of stories of mill sights etc being levelled off up here

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
This area of central BC had dozens of steam mills. Our old friend the late Harry Burt and Tom collected and put back together about 10 engines. The 36 Rumely at Beaverlodge museum was one of these. One of the last mills to be shut in about 1965 had a 40 Reeves on the head saw and a 32 on the planer. They were both complete engines. Harry and Tom had their eyes on these two for years. Finally the whole mill was sold for scrap. The scrapping contractor refused to deal with them so they were both chopped up. We were fortunate that the site we dug at had been levelled and let go back to nature covering the parts. Also that the owner allowed us to dig up his yard. We graded the area and seeded it in hay so it really cleaned the place up.
Cheers

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Mark Pedersen related stories to me regarding 40 hp Reeves parts he had been chasing in Canada, which were purportedly buried at sawmill sites there.

The rear wheels and bull gears for a 32 hp Reeves double simple Canadian Special were buried at a mill site in Canada. I no longer recall, without digging, where, but on the Frazer River, I believe. The wheels were buried about 12-15' deep and had a cable between them on opposite sides of the river. They were the "dead man" anchors for a cable for moving logs from the river to the mill on one side. Thankfully, one of the old guys at the mill still remembered them bein buried and where. Gary;)

PS: Sorry to corrupt your thread, George...

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Gary, That story I remember. I believe Ron Smith was involved in that recovery. I will call him Tomorrow then post it.
Your corruption is accepted seeing we are into Digging!
Thanks for the photos. The first is the engine which we had earlier trial fitted on the boiler in its raw state. after the trial it was sandblasted primed then completely disassembled. By the time we got it all back together it had been in the shop for 3 months during winter.
Photo 2 is putting it back on the boiler. The engine weighs about 3,000 LBS.
Photo 3 is one of the new side tanks . These Canadian tanks are larger then the US ones. They are made with 10 GA satin coat steel . This is a paintable zinc coating sheet. The two tanks have 650 rivets. After assembly they were coated with Fuel tank sealing compound to seal the rivets and the zinc from the boiler water. Boilers don't like zinc rich water.
The 4th photo is my wife beside the beast. I have the far side tank and the cross over piping to finish yet. Then there is the canopy to build.
Tomorrow a summary of where some of the parts came from.
Cheers George

Mike McKnight

Registered
George, thanks so much for the pics of this awesome rebuild, and look forward to reading more details. How soon before you think you can strike the first match?

Awful sad to hear another 40 Reeves survived as late as 1965, only to get the torch that late of a date! The stupidity of some scrappers is nothing short of mind boggling!

Mike M

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
George, thanks so much for the pics of this awesome rebuild, and look forward to reading more details. How soon before you think you can strike the first match?

Awful sad to hear another 40 Reeves survived as late as 1965, only to get the torch that late of a date! The stupidity of some scrappers is nothing short of mind boggling!

Mike M
Harry and Tom were really choked when the demolition crew pushed the building down over the engines then shovelled the lot up for scrap.
Thanks for the other photos Gary The three with my wife in them were taken last week. Cheers.

Looks fantastic George, you have put in alot of hard work and it shows. I'm looking forward to seeing it run!

Thom Cholowski P.E.
Western Development Museum
Saskatoon,Saskatchewan
Canada

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
George,
Here I go corrupting your thread again, but I bumped into this photo of a 40 hp Reeves belted backward in a Canadian sawmill. Ron Smith's father fired this engine in that mill. This had to be a fairly late photo? WWII maybe? I remember Ron telling about parts being buried at sawmills and was speculating that this was part of the "junk" buried? Maybe you remember, George?
Gary;)

Attachments