• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Rumely 36 HP " Canadian model " restoration nearly complete.

casertractor

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/24/2018
Nice Job on the Restoration George:cool::D.I am also looking forward to seeing some video of the engine fired up and running.John

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Seeing we are into digging Gary I visited with Roger today and he was telling me about Collin's dads 110 Case. It had arrived complete from the prairies in the 40 s and was in a mill about 15 miles from where my Rumely was working. When that mill shut down they stripped it to move to another mill at Mud River just west of Prince George. Tom Mc Lennan then bought it for the boiler to heat tank cars of Asphalt. He removed but kept the engine as well. Then I believe in the 70s went back to the original mill site and gathered up the rest of the parts. some were buried at that site. After using the boiler for a few years they discovered it had a broken longitudinal stay. They then bought the Rumely boiler that I have and used it until 1983 when they quit the business.
So the two machines crossed paths a couple of times in their life times.
Back to the Rumely. An old friend of mine had a big locomotive whistle in his collection that he really didn't know what to do with. When I suggested it would be look nice on a big engine he showed up here with it in his car . I had no idea what it looked like. Turns out it is T Mc Avity & Sons 6" 3 chime all brass with the Prairie feathering valve. Their plant was in St John New Brunswick. It looks like new. It will look and sound great on this big Rumely.
Cheers George

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
George, thanks so much for the pics of this awesome rebuild, and look forward to reading more details. How soon before you think you can strike the first match?

Awful sad to hear another 40 Reeves survived as late as 1965, only to get the torch that late of a date! The stupidity of some scrappers is nothing short of mind boggling!

Mike M
Well Mike I can now answer your question as to when we are going to light the first match. The answer is yesterday. Yes that was a big day to say the least. We had about 35 people here for the light up.
I drilled 7 holes in a board then inserted 7 candles. We then had all 7 of our grandchildren each light a candle. The kids age from 3 to 12 so they were pretty exited to light her up. My old friend Bill who spent 3 years helping put this machine together then tossed the candles into the firebox. Here is a couple photos of Bill tossing the candles in and the first puff of smoke.
Unfortunately 3 of our kids are police officers so they didn't want photos of the kids posted. In this internet age things can get out of hand instantly.
I will post more photos in the days to come.

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
What a glorious sight! So how long did it take to get steam on the gauge?
Dave, I was quite surprised how fast it steamed. About 1 hour 20 minutes. It has new 12 Gauge tubes which were clean so that helps. I suspect it will take a bit longer with a bit of soot in the tubes. It must have 500 gallons of water in the boiler. She is having a few teathing problems so over the next few weeks will get the small details done. I have the governor belts made to put on yet.
The clutch shoes need to be worn in and adjusted too.
Cheers George.

Colin Farquhar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Awesome! You guys have made some serious progress in the two months since I saw it. Now we need video-interested to hear how the McCavity sounds :)

Ross Clarke

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/06/2016
Congratulations George!
I have watched the progress of this big project with interest over the years.
I remember your hand sketched drawing of the motor in your adds in E&E years ago!
Maybe some day I will get out that way and see her in person.
It will be 30 years ago in June since Steam Expo, maybe they should have an anniversary party!
Ross

Brian Dykstra

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2014
George thanks for inviting us up to take part in running that beast of an engine we can't wait to have it at our Lynden show this year. I am sure it will sound good on the big fan. You forgot to include yourself in one of the photos so I will see if I can post one for you. Thanks again and congratulations on this amazing accomplishment

Attachments

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Beautiful engine George!

Keep NTA in mind for 2020....we are hosting the Rumely Expo! Might be a bit of a haul, though...:O

Ben Busfield

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/12/2017
Wow what a beautiful job you all have done. congratulations on a job well done!:D

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
It was certainly a thrill to pull the throttle for the first time and have the old girl move on her own steam. The last time she moved on her own, our old friend the late Tom McLennan helped drive it from the flat car out to the mill site in January 1944. He was only 17 at the time and it was 30 degrees below zero. He passed a few years ago, would be thrilled to see her now.
So after 72 years she is back together.
She sure is hard on our blacktop driveway though.

Attachments

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
You are on Lyle, My son in law is just completing the video so I should be able to post it tomorrow. It is 11 minutes on You Tube.
Cheers. George.

Brian Dykstra

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2014
I wanted to add another picture taken from the platform I was impressed how easy that big twin cylinder was to turn over for the first time the canopy turned out great as well I can't wait to see it sling a little grease and oil when it's working

Attachments

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
George,
It has been so exciting observing the magnificent job and progress of the restoration of this 36 hp Rumely Canadian Special! Thanks for posting photos as you have along the way. It's been great to watch. Thank you for your consideration of the rest of us, George. I'm glad it performed well for you. Like the others, I'd like to see videos! Cheers, Gary:brows:

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
George,
It has been so exciting observing the magnificent job and progress of the restoration of this 36 hp Rumely Canadian Special! Thanks for posting photos as you have along the way. It's been great to watch. Thank you for your consideration of the rest of us, George. I'm glad it performed well for you. Like the others, I'd like to see videos! Cheers, Gary:brows:
Thanks Gary, In the video there is a fair knock. One eccentric is too loose so that was easy to resolve ,however the gears sound like a rock crusher. We got looking at the mesh and it looks like we have to slide the engine ahead about 1/4" to get a better tooth mesh. Just too tight. There are a set of shims at the front cylinder mount that we can remove to fix the problem.
The injector didn't want to work,however we maybe didn't have enough steam pressure. I was surprised how easy she steers for such a heavy front end. Better than the Gaar Scott. Sorry Mike!
Cheers George.