• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Rumely 36 HP " Canadian model " restoration nearly complete.

G Willikers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2020
Mr. Hoffman,
Great video. That is quite an accomplishment and something to be very proud of. It must have been a great feeling to see that first whiff of steam come out of the ol' gal.
Congratulations.
RM

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
George,
Well done!!!! And a big hearty congrats to you, I know that has to be one Helluva good feeling to see this project coming to a close and seeing the first firing. And I will say I can see what you're saying about the big Rumely being easier to steer than your Gaar; I've driven both kinds of engines before and yes, the rear-mount Gaars are one of the hardest steering engines I've ever had the pleasure to drive. :bonk: Big side-mount Gaars are a different story though-that 22 of mine is just sooooo nimble and easy to steer.

Thanks so much for the progress pics, and especially the first firing video. It's been thrilling to see another big one come back to life, and gives me inspiration to get back on my Case project.

Mike M

halcon

Registered
Building one of those big engines by gathering parts from all over creation is a huge under taking, I know I've done it, and I was a good deal younger than you are George. You have my respect and congratulations. Clyde

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
George,

What an accomplishment! Absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful and rare engine. I enjoyed your narrative.

Thank you for assembling it as well as sharing it with us! I hope to be able to see it some day.

Beth

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
I would think they would enjoy the restoration story of this engine on Traction Talk, Canada being a British commonwealth. It's a really beautiful engine. It would be a lot of work to keep it new looking, but that kind of work would be a labor of love.Thanks George for all your efforts to bring this beauty back to the future so future generations can enjoy it.

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
I would think they would enjoy the restoration story of this engine on Traction Talk, Canada being a British commonwealth. It's a really beautiful engine. It would be a lot of work to keep it new looking, but that kind of work would be a labor of love.Thanks George for all your efforts to bring this beauty back to the future so future generations can enjoy it.
KO
If you would like to post the video link on Traction Talk feel free to do it.
Cheers George

---------- Post added at 09:45:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28:51 PM ----------

George,
Well done!!!! And a big hearty congrats to you, I know that has to be one Helluva good feeling to see this project coming to a close and seeing the first firing. And I will say I can see what you're saying about the big Rumely being easier to steer than your Gaar; I've driven both kinds of engines before and yes, the rear-mount Gaars are one of the hardest steering engines I've ever had the pleasure to drive. :bonk: Big side-mount Gaars are a different story though-that 22 of mine is just sooooo nimble and easy to steer.

Thanks so much for the progress pics, and especially the first firing video. It's been thrilling to see another big one come back to life, and gives me inspiration to get back on my Case project.

Mike M
Mike, I have a confession to make, The two draft doors are Gaar Scott. The Rumely ones were sheet metal and were all bent up. The cast GS ones close air tight which I like when checking the fire or going to lunch. One other part we used is a GS throttle. It is far better than the Rumely one which I would of had to make. It has a nice leaver and quadrant. The only other part that is not Rumely is the flywheel. It has an F number on it however it had the 5" flat clutch face so fits the bill nicely. I have another tapered face flywheel which I don't need. Anyone who needs same PM me.
Cheers George.

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Collin , We were at the Co-op car show. Interesting crowd, all city car folk who have very little knowledge about steamers. Cant believe how big it is and what was it used for. The old girl drew a good crowd even though we didn't steam her up. The low boy grossed at 72,000 LBS with no water. I cant remember what the empty weight of the truck is so will have to unload her then go back to the scale. Height was OK at 13'-4", good thing we cut the canopy brackets down 4 " but the width requires a Pilot Car at 12'-4".
Cheers George

LAKnox

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2016
Just too sweet! Can't wait to see some vids of that beast =working=!

Lyle

Mark Kline

Registered
Hi George, The engine looks great. Congratulations on a job well done. I've heard through the grape vine that you may be coming to Forest City in 2017 with a big double! I hope you can make it work out. It would be great to have 3 or more of the 36-120 together for the expo. Take care, Mark

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Hi George, The engine looks great. Congratulations on a job well done. I've heard through the grape vine that you may be coming to Forest City in 2017 with a big double! I hope you can make it work out. It would be great to have 3 or more of the 36-120 together for the expo. Take care, Mark
Mark, I am planning to bring it to Forrest City next year if we can include a couple other stops. It arrived in Manyberries when new in 1912. They would like to have it back for a town reunion in 17. That's is about half way so I think we can make it work. Will see. I have to check the allowable truck weights in the US. We are at 72,000 gross now dry with the extensions. I have a booster for my trailer so may need it.
I still have to move the engine ahead to take the knashing of the gears out.
Fortunately we have some shims to remove from the front mount. We set the rear engine bed in Babitt so that has to come out. We just got the gear fit too tight.
That would be a great show next year if we could get one half the 36's [4 of them] or more together.
Cheers George.

Attachments

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
The first picture is the Rumely going to a parade with the Baby Reeves hitch hiking on the rear. That's a couple of our 8 grand kids waiting to climb into the coal bins for the parade.
Its a case of the Monkeys waving at the Monkeys. They think it is great fun.
Cheers

Tim Colwell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
gratis
Is there any plans to drag the rumely from Osage over, even tho I don't think its currently operable?

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Bump since George plans to bring it to Forest City for the Rumely Expo!:D

sftyvlv1

Registered
Post #5, pic 2, nice job bending the exhaust. Pipe bender or.......Screwed piping is a pain the ass. However if you know your fitting allowance and the manufacturer machines decent threads it helps.

oldtractors

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2015
Tim,
The one from Osage should be at Forest City as well. That one and George's are the only dry bottom Canadian models.