• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Russian Clock Radio on Our Voltage

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
This forum was as close as I could find to my question.
I am looking at this item on ebay right now and I am curious as to what I would need to do for power.It runs on 220 50 hz
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELEKTRONIK...m=192657805371&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982
I know a transformer would fix the 220 problem but the 50 hz? Not sure about.Never dealt with a different Hz before.I am just casualy interested in getting a old radio and perhaps something like this digital clock from over in that part of the world .Would be a neat conversation peice.

Bill Hazzard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/28/2008
Re: Russian clock radio on our voltage

A variable frequency drive (VFD) can make 50 HZ. 220V should be available in your home without a transformer, just need to run a circuit for the clock.

ulgydog56

Registered

of course usa is 60 hzs. that means 60 cycles per second (north, south) pos neg, electric equipment is designed to run 10% above or be low rated power approx....:D

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020

It would depend if the clock uses the line frequency as it's time base or not. It very well may. In that case it would run 6/5 normal speed on 60 cycles. Running it from a VFD would then give time keeping that is only as acurrate as the VFD's time base, which you would probably find unsatisfactory.

Or it may be independent of the line frequency. In that case, it likely would run just fine on 220 volts, 60 cycles.

Keith

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018

From what I am reading here, it may not really be feeseable for me to get 1 as I do not have a VFD and was kinda hoping it could just work along side some of my old radios with a transformer to stepup the voltage. I am hoping to get back to fiddling with my old radios.I have kinda let them gather to much dust and yea I have a old clock but since I like strange stuff, I thought a russian clock and or radio would be a neat addition to the collection.

Birken Vogt

Registered

I agree, probably 6/5 fast, but I wonder if the old Soviet power grid was as stable as ours. If not, maybe this alarm clock has a crystal time standard, and would still be useful at 240v/60 Hz. Just a thought.

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

Likely has a crystal reference in it and will work just fine.
Doc

Bud Tierney

Registered
In years past, before all the new electronics, travelers could buy attachments that permitted US stuff (radios, shavers) to run on others electric systems; have no idea if anything like that still available, but a local travel agent should know...

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
MM5369 or ELM440 and a 3.58MHz color TV crystal. Will sync to line. For 60Hz reference.
ELM446 and 3.58 crystal for 50 Hz out.
IF clock runs fast use 50Hz chip
Doc

pegasuspinto

Registered
Personally, I would hope it does run fast. That could be kinda fun. Set it up when someone is coming over, and don't tell them, and point at the clock later "man it's getting late, you should go", or set it up when the wife wants to watch Game of Thrones or something to throw her off. Heehee.

KeithW

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/28/2020
The clock has a place for a 9v backup battery. That tells me that it is crystal controlled and would work fine on 60 hz.

pegasuspinto

Registered
Actually a lot of clocks are using mains frequency for timekeeping and the battery runs a crappy non-precision timebase when the mains have failed. Mine drift badly on battery

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
If the commies used a single hot wire for 220, would you not have a live chassis possibly on split phase 220 like we have?

ulgydog56

Registered
angrysailor, you got a point, 1 220 hot if that what it is an't gonna work here, who knows what kind of power they made behind the iron curtain.....not sure...:bonk:

Birken Vogt

Registered
Would likely be using an isolation transformer in this case so no worry really. Not running a separate 240 circuit to run a clock.