• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Ruston Hornsby Mark CY

Snype32

Registered
Hello, this is my first post here. I found this forum while looking up info on a Ruston CY engine, and would like to get some input from anyone that has experience with these engines. I found this one sitting in a local scrapyard. What I'm wondering is if its worth trying to save? I haven't worked on an engine like this before, but it looks like a interesting project20200111_115951.jpg20200111_152943.jpg20200111_152945.jpg20200111_152956.jpg20200111_153055.jpg20200111_153104.jpg. It looks to be quite complete. Are there issues to look for? Are parts available? What is it worth in its current state and fixed up?

Thanks!

Oil Power

Registered
An engine well worth collecting. The CY was a special model made by Ruston's for Canadian grain elevators. See the Grain Elevator video thread posted by Contaucreek a few posts down on this forum. Photos below are of an engine that was sold by a collector in Australia a few months ago. Parts may be hard to find but well worth the effort, even if they have to be made.
Hugh
IMG_1224- resized 1500px.jpgIMG_1227- resized 1500px.jpgIMG_1226- resized 1500px.jpg

ruston3w

Registered
They were made to be easily maintained, if the cylinder is still ok and the fuel pipework is still intact it should be mostly cleaning and setting upwork.
If there is any frost damage it may be on cylinder jacket opposite side to lubricator, or maybe worth a check under the cylinder (i.e. front of cylinder right under the engine). Best not concrete engine in without checking for leaks underneath;).
Have fun, Richard.

Will51

Registered
No way in hell I would `not get. that.
Even if you don't want it someone else would very likely buy it from you (possibly me).
Don't let that piece of history be destroyed.

Sonny Reese

Registered
I would grab it! Looks like mostly all there, a lot of cleaning would do wonders for it, then see what you have and go from there!

rustongreen

Registered
I have 3 CR’s which are the next size smaller and there is really nothing to them. Make sure when you take the governor apart that you take measurements all over inside. Injection pumps are hard to find but they are out there as well as injectors. Some parts I think will cross over from the CR to the CY as the CY was a 20hp engine and the CR was 17hp rated and 19 max horsepower. Decals you can get from Ray Hooley and giving him the serial number he can tell you when R&H sold that engine to Mumford & Medland.

IronworkerFXR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/06/2020
they run great, only issue is moving them around ... like any other engine . the least price would be scrap value, it goes up from there ..

Snype32

Registered
Thanks for all the replies The guy is asking $500 for it. I wasn't sure it would be worth that. I have to make sure it makes sense money wise. I'll looks more closely at it for freeze damage. Only thing I see broken is the glass on top of the lubricator.

Jason Dahm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Thanks for all the replies The guy is asking $500 for it. I wasn't sure it would be worth that. I have to make sure it makes sense money wise. I'll looks more closely at it for freeze damage. Only thing I see broken is the glass on top of the lubricator.
Bargain alert! (y)

Snype32

Registered
There is nothing to go with it. Just what is in the pics. So $500 is a good price? Even rusted up as it is? Pretty sure it will be seized.

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
Grab it, if anything it's lots of parts, but probably can get it running. Only thing getting hard to come by is pumps and injectors.
Well built good engines when set up right

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Nice engine ! It kills me though when I see an engine setting outside with an open pipe flange pointed straight up like that. You know rain water got in there. Definitely worth $500

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Did ya get the engine yet Snype.
Peter, Shhhh about the open pipe flange... Ya, we all see but let's hope for the best! We might be surprised.
:)
Snype?
;)